• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ locking up after moving forward 6 feet

93XJNate

NAXJA Forum User
My buddy just bought a 92 XJ 208K on it. It drove home fine. When we drove it the next day we backed out of his driveway moved forward 6 feet and it locked up like as if it went into park or something. we had to go into reverse and forward again a few times before it would go forward further than 6 feet. We have been able to recreate this problem about 5 times. PLEASE HELP!

Thank you

92xj
auto
dana 35

Last edited:
It sounds like the drum brakes need attention.

Were the friction linings worn out?

any horrible noises associated with the binding?

Im thinking t case or ring +pinion
I've had worn out shoes and drums do eactly what the OP describes, in two wheel drive vehicles. In cases of severe neglect, the adjuster fell out of it's slot, and held the lower half of the shoes even further apart.

The latest is my 2wd Ranger, but I think the parking brake cable is sticking enough to hold the shoes close to the drum. When I try to drive forward, the shoes follow their tendency and bind to the drum. Reversing uses the same tendency to move the shoes away from the drum.

The same concept applies to people who don't keep the shoes adjusted. They freak out when the drum brakes won't hold on a hill and let the vehicle roll backward.

:lecture:

Thank you for all of the info so far. I will keep all of you guys posted as we dig in to your recommendations. Keep them coming

Back