• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horn go off by itself...Jeep wont shut off?

BostonIrish

NAXJA Forum User
So this morning at 6am...my kids Jeep horn starts blowing by itself for no reason...after finding his keys and trying to start it.The horn still wouldn't shut off and the motor kept turning over with the ignition off.I had to actually pull the battery cable off to get it to stop.He's been driving it all week with no problems..wtf!

What kinda Jeep ? Model, Year, any other helpful info ?

Alarm system or not ? You should look for alarm wire connections, over-ride switch, alarm control unit, etc.

My first wild guess is a melted Ignition switch and wire harness connector at the ignition switch. It is under the dash on the yop side of the steering column.

Not knowing what year this heep is, but guessing its a 97+, His/Her JB might be ate up with corrosion. Both the starter relay control and the horn circuits go thtrough the JB.

It's a 99 Cherokee..it's first started blowing power door lock fuses and now this random horn problem.Ive had it to 2 garages..they have no clue.The 1st garage replaced the negative battery cable and said it was fixed .The next day the battery was dead..I ended up finding a blown IOD fuse under the hood...if I leave the fuse out I have no guages but the thing was drive able...now the horn has randomly gone off and it's usually around 3am.Last night it wouldn't shut off and I had to pull the battery cable to shut it off.Im not sure what a JB is...junction block?

Goes off constant..sat in the driveway all day..went off at 6am.Had to pop the hood and pull the battery cable..that's when I couldn't get it to shut off too.Im gonna leave the cable off till I can check out the steering column wires..My neighbors are a little pissed off

The only time I've seen the horn blow constantly was when someone had the doors off and the column got rained on. The clock spring got wet.

I agree. I'd take a look at the harness on top of the column. The issue should be easy to find since it's confined to the horn. It's a pretty simple circuit.

In your first post you said: "The horn still wouldn't shut off and the motor kept turning over with the ignition off"

Is this still the case? I mean, the motor keeps turning over with the ignition turned off.

If it is not just the ignition switch and local wiring at the switch, then it sounds like melted and fused wires buried in the harness. Sounds like it started with the electric door locks blowing fuses!!!

It's a 99 Cherokee..it's first started blowing power door lock fuses and now this random horn problem.Ive had it to 2 garages..they have no clue.The 1st garage replaced the negative battery cable and said it was fixed .The next day the battery was dead..I ended up finding a blown IOD fuse under the hood...if I leave the fuse out I have no guages but the thing was drive able...now the horn has randomly gone off and it's usually around 3am.Last night it wouldn't shut off and I had to pull the battery cable to shut it off.Im not sure what a JB is...junction block?

The Junction Block is the fuse panel in the passenger footwell.

Most of the circuits you describe as having problems with go through the JB. To keep your neighbors happy for the time being you can remove the horn relay which will kill the horn. The horn relay is the second one up from the bottom in the pic.

While you have the JB exposed, examine it closely for evidence of corrosion (green stuff). If you see any evidence of corrosion, remove the entire JB and inspect the back of it. See pics.

To remove the JB cover, pop the fuse access panel off, loosen the plastic floor trim that captures the cover, then unfasten the cover and remove it.

CopyofXJ97_99JUNCBOX.jpg

99JBlowerconnectors.jpg

Complete JB removed from the vehicle. New one on the left, corroded one on the right.

image-2699454502.jpg

Some Jeep owners have found their JB's badly corroded

image-1594863711.jpg

image-348922368.jpg

So I hooked up the battery and the friggin Jeep started right up and shut off ..so far no horn going off yet..I can't find any burnt wires ..I think I need someone more experienced in electrical to look at this nightmare.

Back