• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! 92 xj dies after it warms up???

avocado

NAXJA Forum User
I was having issues with idle and got some ideas naxja friends so I replaced the TPS and Idle seems better but it still dies after it warms up... My brother mentioned it could be the coolent temperature sensor?? Any comments on that??

thanks, Mike(avocado)

O2 sensor may have lost power to the internal heater (fuse or relay bad?), or the heater is bad in the O2 sensor. When the engine warms up and switches from open loop to closed loop control it uses the O2 sensor, and if the sensor gets cold at idle (heater not working), the ECU over compensates trying to use the bad O2 sensor data, and that can stall the engine.

You can test the CTS, MAT and the O2 sensor with a simple volt-ohm multi meter. The MAT is the manifold Air intake temp sensor. Also thhe IAC may be dirty and sticking. Idle Air Control valve.

I was having the same issue with my xj and it was the CPS. Does it restart right after it stalls ?

my money is on the CPS .
mike meant the heater wire for the o2 sensor, not the heater in your jeep.

Have you looked for any frayed wiring, intake leaks, stuff like that?

My money is also on the crankshaft position sensor. It is not uncommon for this sensor to suffer thermal (heat related) failure.

Ignition coil is another possibility as well, but crank sensor fails more frequently this way.

I talked to the previous owner and he already replaced the cps.... I have talked to a couple different people and am maybe leaning toward fuel issue? I will keep ya'll informed once I get it figured out.... thanks for all the help everyone..

Mike(avocado)

Check how hot it is getting too. You can use a hair dryer to heat stress parts like the HV coil and CPS to see if they croak sooner, isolated hot part, cold engine.

Back