• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB-like diff cover for the 8.25?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
This sounds stupid, and it is somewhat trivial, but hear me out...

Does anyone make a beefy 8.25 diff cover like ARB's? Namely the lower drain hole and upper dipstick/fill hole are what I'm after. I'm absolutely throwing an ARB cover on my D30 given that it's far more prone to water contamination than the 8.25, but would like similar conveniences for the rear. I just friggin hate dealing with RTV any more than I absolutely have to.

Thoughts?

D'oh, completely forgot about Lube Lockers. That's a far more cost-effective solution.

The drain hole is a perk from the standpoint of more regular oil changes. I'd love to be able to knock it out as conveniently as a normal oil change (but pull the cover to inspect it periodically, of course).

ruffstuff covers and lube lockers.

should be able to do both axles for the cost of one arb cover.

it is my understanding that dan no longer does the drain plugs. with good reason, as i sheared a few off before giving up and going sans drain plug on the 30.

if having a drain plug is a must for you, shoot me a pm. i can fill you in on my solution for a pkug that wont shear

Yeah, I bought a used ARB diff cover for the D-30, and the drain plug has seen some abuse. I can see where it could be sheared off.

I gave up on the RS drain plugs as well. Had one on the D30 and every time I hit a rock, it came loose and started leaking. I finally welded up the hole.

I really like the ruffstuff covers, but solid dif covers are hard to beat for the price. A drain plug is a potential failure point and an aluminum cover won't need a drain plug if you wheel it, the first rock will add a drain hole for you.

Teraflex has a nice diff cover with two drain plugs that are fairly protected.

Price is right too...

I'm running a ruffstuff on the rear 8.25, but i plan to drill a drain plug on the next change ... but tap it for 1/8" NPT and use a recessed plug. chamfer the hole and there is no way to shear a bolt head off. Plan to do the same for my front 30 when I get around to it.

Lots of good points here - failed to even consider the possibility of damaging the drain plug. Ultimately it's just an excuse for laziness, which I seem to thrive on.

Time to start finalizing steering plans for my WJ disc swap (going on a HP D30 I have crated in my garage) and run from there. I'd never even realized that TeraFlex makes diff covers, and they appear to be pretty similar in depth to the factory D30 cover.

Thanks again guys. I think today's the day I finally go red thanks to several years of awesome advice and badass vendor presence.

Ruffstuff ftw, though I will never buy one with a drain plug again, the plug just gets mashed up on rocks lol. Rather drop 15-20 on a lubelocker and take a look at everything whenever I pull the cover.

Back