• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator relocation.

Johnnie Walker

Piece of Fish!
NAXJA Member
Anyone know if the 2005+ TJ upper alt mount will bolt up to xj block? I know there is an extra rear lower bolt, but is the top/front bolts the same Pattern.? I guess I could always adapt it, as that seems easier than grinding and splicing/fitting multiple brackets together.
Yes I have read previous relocation threads, but have not heard anyone using this bracket.

i am working on a new bracket to take place of my ac and get rid of the pulley for mechanical fan to get it all the way on top. my ac doesnt work though and i coverted to electric fans i can shoot you over templates if you like

Sounds good, I'll Pm you my email addy.

This may not be what you are looking for but.....my alternator relocation was to use parts from the 2.5L (I think that is what it is) 4 cylinder XJ of the same year as my XJ, 1996 namely the mounting bracket, two idler pulleys along with the mounting hardware and the serpentine belt. The lower alternator bracket was from a ZJ 4.0L. With this setup, you may not be able to run the mechanical fan. I ditched the mechanical fan on my XJ many years ago in favor of two electrical fans.

2.5 jeep alt bracket is what I used, of course im running full electric fans so you do away with all the other crap. no ac also.

Currently running dbo efan kit. No mech fan

Re: Re: Alternator relocation.

Why do you guys want to relocate the alt? Is this an upgrade? Easier to trail fix?

Yes. I will be running some form of ho alt. And easier to work up top, than on the ground

2.5 jeep alt bracket is what I used, of course im running full electric fans so you do away with all the other crap. no ac also.

I still have my AC unit. The compressor is raised up 1 to 2 inches and the small hose from the top of the water pump touches the hood enough to transfer some paint. I also forget to mention that the top radiator hose for the 1996 year model have been replaced with one from the Renix years. This hose passes behind the AC compressor instead of over it.

Why do you guys want to relocate the alt? Is this an upgrade? Easier to trail fix?

For one thing, it get the alternator up from the bottom of the engine to a place where there is less chance of it being filled with mud and what-not.
Funny thing is, I went wheeling 2 weeks ago in the Osceola National Forest near Lake City FL and had water over the top of the hood. When I got home I found debris on the top of the intake manifold and valve cover that were floating in the water. The alternator still work like the first day. This is a 136 AMP unit from Dakota.

Wondering if anyone might have a part number for a ribbed pulley that we'll go in place of the stock idler?

Back