• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gears are super tight after putting 44 together, normal?

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
So I just got my axle back from a shop here in Denver who installed my 5.13's and ARB in my HP 44. Pinion seamed to spin just fine when I got it back. I then installed the shafts and spindle. Tightened the spindle down, and once I did that Its super tight to spin the yoke and even turn the gears now. Takes a little force, then gets a little easier once it starts going around, then tightens back up. (This is turning by hand) If you put a socket and breaker bar on the yoke it turns a little easier. I have all new bearing in the spindle, and in the axle. Is this normal? gears and ARB are brand new, so Im thinking that maybe just because everything is brand new and not broken in yet (and dosent have fluid in it) or the ring has a nice thick coat of paint on it which is causing it to be tight. Is this all normal for a brand new axle or no?

There shouldn't be any paint on the new gears. Put the recommended gear lube in and see how it feels then. If you have a beam style torque wrench, put that on the pinion nut socket and see how much torque it takes to spin everything when wet. Also, call the shop, they know what normal is, and you want clear communication from the start in case something is in fact wrong. You paid them to do it right.

I haven't even gotten the hubs on yet. I'm talking about the nuts that tighten the spindle down to the knuckle. I haven't put the hub/rotor even on yet or the big bus that hold the hubs on

Yeah, I'd put it back in your truck and drive it over to the shop. If something's not right, now is the time for the paid professionals to catch their own (potential) mistake. They should be happy to look/ fix whatever is wrong now. Seriously, just take it back and show them.

...Pinion seamed to spin just fine when I got it back. I then installed the shafts and spindle. Tightened the spindle down, and once I did that Its super tight to spin the yoke and even turn the gears now. ...

You guys telling him he should take it back to where he had it done and have them "fix whatever is wrong now"...did you read this part of the original post?

Obviously the R&P setup guy's fault :NOT:

You guys telling him he should take it back to where he had it done and have them "fix whatever is wrong now"...did you read this part of the original post?

Obviously the R&P setup guy's fault :NOT:[/]

My advice was to take it back to the people he paid to help him already. It covers his butt from making a mistake and ruining his new axle, and it covers their butt in case they did do something wrong. Gives them a chance to catch any potential problems before serious damage is done to expensive new parts.:doh:

OP: I don't mean to imply that you can't figure it out yourself. I'm sure you're a capable guy. But who to trust with your new investment, the shop you chose to do the work you couldn't do, or some armchair mechanics with no financial stake in it?
If you still want to try yourself:
1. Are the u joints nice and loose? Are the knuckles steered straight ahead? Maybe it's a u joint binding that you're feeling at the pinion.
2. Does anything go underneath the spindle? Maybe the brake backing plate? Take the spindle off. Is the stiffness/ binding still present?
3. Are you sure they're the correct length axle shafts?
Give us some more details on the whole setup.

The axle is not under the jeep. It's being built. And I found out the problem last night. I replaced the bearings on the spindle. And it's a four piece set. Bearing in the spindle, small seal over the bearing. Big fat seal on the shafts and then a small plastic washer you slide over the shaft to the base. Well I dident realize it was tapered. And the tapered end needs to go on first. Pulled everything off and flipped it around now they spin just fine. Gears are still tight, but nothing like there were. Now I can at least turn them by hand. Still a little force to turn it but nothing like it was.

And everything is brand new in the axle except shafts. New u joints, stock full width shafts, new ball joints. New bearings in hubs and spindle. New gears and locker. Haven't even got to building the the steering yet

My advice was to take it back to the people he paid to help him already. It covers his butt from making a mistake and ruining his new axle, and it covers their butt in case they did do something wrong. Gives them a chance to catch any potential problems before serious damage is done to expensive new parts.:doh:
:doh: all you want...doesn't change the fact that you're wrong to imply that the gear install is "potentially" the problem when the OP's description clearly describes that it had to be something external (and verified by the OP).

Learn how this stuff works before offering advice :rtm:

:doh: all you want...doesn't change the fact that you're wrong to imply that the gear install is "potentially" the problem when the OP's description clearly describes that it had to be something external (and verified by the OP).

Learn how this stuff works before offering advice :rtm:

So if Bay State Offroad regears an axle for a guy, then he has issues with it feeling tight later, you'd rather he ask an Internet forum than just bring it back for you to look at?

You obviously have some experience with this stuff, but there's no help offered to OP by bobknowitall, just starting a pissing contest over other people's opinions. Use your professional experience to help the community, not just tout your superiority over our heads.

Mods, you can delete this post if you want. Sorry for cluttering up the boards.

Last edited:
OP says it was fine until he put in the shafts and spindles.

Not a gear setup issue.

Yeah, I totally understand that. I see how you guys think I'm overlooking the diagnostic flow of this. My original advice to OP was to take it back to the shop and ask them to take a look. What's so wrong with that? If it reads like I'm blaming them for screwing something up, I apologize. My little :doh: isn't meant to hurt anyone's feelings. I'm just saying ruining new stuff because you weren't careful and thorough sucks.
What technician wouldn't want someone to come back with questions, concerns, etc, about a job that they just performed? Maybe it would give the shop another chance for positive interaction with their customers, and maybe OP could have learned something new from them about assembling his new axle. My point was this: "Seriously, just take it back". They're the professionals, they know how to help. Don't read blame or distrust of the shop into that. I would expect the same advice form every single shop owner on these forums. Once something is damaged there's no going back, and how many times have you technicians heard a customer relate their own troubles to the fact that they just had you do some work? Without finding his own mistake in person, OP's best bet was to take it back and have somebody look at it.

Yeah, I totally understand that. I see how you guys think I'm overlooking the diagnostic flow of this. My original advice to OP was to take it back to the shop and ask them to take a look. What's so wrong with that? If it reads like I'm blaming them for screwing something up, I apologize. My little :doh: isn't meant to hurt anyone's feelings. I'm just saying ruining new stuff because you weren't careful and thorough sucks.
What technician wouldn't want someone to come back with questions, concerns, etc, about a job that they just performed? Maybe it would give the shop another chance for positive interaction with their customers, and maybe OP could have learned something new from them about assembling his new axle. My point was this: "Seriously, just take it back". They're the professionals, they know how to help. Don't read blame or distrust of the shop into that. I would expect the same advice form every single shop owner on these forums. Once something is damaged there's no going back, and how many times have you technicians heard a customer relate their own troubles to the fact that they just had you do some work? Without finding his own mistake in person, OP's best bet was to take it back and have somebody look at it.

I agree with you here, and understand what you're saying.

There shouldn't be any paint on the new gears. Put the recommended gear lube in and see how it feels then. If you have a beam style torque wrench, put that on the pinion nut socket and see how much torque it takes to spin everything when wet. Also, call the shop, they know what normal is, and you want clear communication from the start in case something is in fact wrong. You paid them to do it right.

Yeah, I'd put it back in your truck and drive it over to the shop. If something's not right, now is the time for the paid professionals to catch their own (potential) mistake. They should be happy to look/ fix whatever is wrong now. Seriously, just take it back and show them.

These posts imply a mistake by the installer...especially the bold portions.

I can't help knowing it all:gag:

These posts imply a mistake by the installer...especially the bold portions.

Yeah, you're right. I should have worded that differently, because I didn't think they had actually done anything wrong at the shop, but that's how it sounds when you read it.

Thanks for not flaming me more, I'm humbled.:peace:

Back