• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

issue with rwd

4x4_mafia_jon

NAXJA Forum User
So like the title said.

after owning this Jeep for A WEEK!! I started to get a loud click and bang in the tcase and rear end area. Then while driving home it just totally went to shit. I heard a loud bang and I lost 2wd. I put it in 4hi and end up getting a few blocks before I gave up. Called a tow truck.

After a month or so I finally have time to tear into it. I started with the tcase.

I opened up the drain and the fluid was old but still good. no shavings. And from what I can see the belt it still intact. This led me yo thr rear.

The rear:
D35
Poped opend the cover to find a cluster &#!$. The slider pin was digging into the housing and there were spider gears everywhere.
It seemed like the pinion gear was chewing at my slide pin.
Ill post pictures.

Fixed the rear.

Posted a WTB add on here and had many great people respond. Ended up getting the rear on trade for some beer.

Swaped the rear in and everything looks great now only problem... I STILL DONT HAVE RWD!!!

Whats next? im lost and starting to really hate this jeep. Ive never givin up on a rig and wont start now. Just need a hand getting this going.

tcase could have been damaged, he did say he drove it after the axle went to crap, there could have been damage from that

tcase could have been damaged, he did say he drove it after the axle went to crap, there could have been damage from that

I'm willing to bet that the T-case is stronger than the Driveshaft or the unis or even the rear axle.

I'd say it has enough balls to break a U-joint and cause the rear driveshaft to literally fall off before it broke the T-case.

Well I put it all back together right and the rear drive shaft isnt spinning at all. Is it possible that the slip yoke type of end on my np231 has slipped too far out???

Is there anyway to check for that without removing the whole tcase.

Thanks for all the help sofar guys.

I'm willing to bet that the T-case is stronger than the Driveshaft or the unis or even the rear axle.

I'd say it has enough balls to break a U-joint and cause the rear driveshaft to literally fall off before it broke the T-case.
My bud limped this two miles down the shoulder to get off the Interstate...in rear wheel drive. :rolleyes:

attachment.php

To the OP, if you are 1000% that the axle is OK, it's time to move on to the next component.

What happened to that thing?
He's pretty sure the front output bearing locked up. He was chasing down some vibes.When he had the front shaft off, he thought the bearing didn't feel right, but reinstalled the shaft... When he called me from the highway, I could hear the section of the T-case thumping the floor plan as the front shaft was being spun by the wheels. :doh:

He did say that it shifted his case into neutral a couple times.

Well, is it?:speepin:
sorry i have the jeep parked at my moms house. where i live there insnt too much room to work on it..

update:

i pop'd out the linkage and mover the tcase in 2wd by hand i even gave it a love tap to make sure..

still no movment. i hope i can figure this out over the week or ill have to take it in to someone to have them look at the tcase.. :doh:

Your pictures are GINORMOUS.

I fixed them for him.

I thought the OP was a guy ... but it appears as if his nails are ... painted?

OP. You posted pictures of your spider gears literally split in half, and you're still wondering where the noise is coming from? The bolt that goes between the spider gears looks like Sasquatch chewed on it.

I'm willing to bet the last person to remove the 1/4" 12 point bolt that holds that pin in didn't loctite it in place. It worked loose, that bolt slide out, slammed all around in your diff, made a huge ruckus, eventually the spider gears fell out, and it just stopped working all together. Willing to bet the diff housing is torn apart as well. That thing is messed up dude.

2-1_zps7fce0a81.jpg

3-1_zps3b822636.jpg

1-1_zps45ccfacc.jpg

5_zps1ad8d84b.jpg

6_zps2ab8692f.jpg

4-1_zps923ad37a.jpg

Last edited:
Op stated that pic of the d35 is a new one, not the one that the diff exploded in.
Curious, have you cracked open the new axle to inspect its working? If not, it's the transfer case and you're going to have to open it to find out.

Back