• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check engine light - oil pressure issue *need help*

inv3ctiv3

NAXJA Forum User
My GF and I were driving to breakfast this morning and the check engine light came on in my 2001 XJ sport. I poked around and everything looks and sounds normal but when I got back in the truck I noticed the oil pressure gauge was sitting above 40 just idling when normally it's below 40 and it wasn't fluctuating at all when I drove it back about a quarter mile.

Any ideas?

Sensor may not be functioning properly. Cel could just be a coincidence, but you need to pull the code. Best way to confirm oil pressure is with a mechanical gage

Do ya got one of those at yer shop Jeremy? I'm having a similar issue. The other day it started showing higher than normal oil pressure. Read into the sender units going bad but wanted it get it looked at before I replace

There would be no code with a "check gauges" light; codes come along with a "check engine" light.

Anytime oil pressure is in question, best to verify it with a mechanical oil pressure gauge which can be rented from some parts stores; call around.

And yes, the oil pressure sending unit is not an uncommon failure. I recommend a Mopar unit purchase directly from Jeep for the best reliability/accuracy/mating with your factory gauge.

Oil pressure spec for the 4.0 engine:

*Not less than 13 psi at hot idle
*Between 37-75 psi over 1600 rpms

There would be no code with a "check gauges" light; codes come along with a "check engine" light.

Anytime oil pressure is in question, best to verify it with a mechanical oil pressure gauge which can be rented from some parts stores; call around.

And yes, the oil pressure sending unit is not an uncommon failure. I recommend a Mopar unit purchase directly from Jeep for the best reliability/accuracy/mating with your factory gauge.

Oil pressure spec for the 4.0 engine:

*Not less than 13 psi at hot idle
*Between 37-75 psi over 1600 rpms

Yeah, when the sensor was going bad on my LJ the gauges would make an obnoxious rapid beeping while flashing the red CHECK GAUGES light at my face.

Both of my '01s have had sender failures. Symptom was that gage reads way too high at medium RPM but would come down to the right range at idle.

New sender - easy fix. (I had no reason to suspect anything else wrong)

I went to a local parts store and got one, it's not MOPAR but made in the USA. I haven't put it in yet because it seems to work ok after I uplugged it and cleaned the connections. I know everyone says go Mopar but this was $60 and made in USA, I have no issue returning it if you guys say it's a good idea.

It's totally up to you. I also tried to avoid going to the dealer. I purchased one from a local parts store for my 98. I believe it was a borg/warner if memory serves. It literally fell apart in my hands as I tried to gently install it. I took it back and the parts store gladly refunded my money. After that I popped for the dealer part. That was 2 years ago and it's performed perfectly ever since. Money well spent in my opinion. What's your time worth if you have to do it again in a year?

It's totally up to you. I also tried to avoid going to the dealer. I purchased one from a local parts store for my 98. I believe it was a borg/warner if memory serves. It literally fell apart in my hands as I tried to gently install it. I took it back and the parts store gladly refunded my money. After that I popped for the dealer part. That was 2 years ago and it's performed perfectly ever since. Money well spent in my opinion. What's your time worth if you have to do it again in a year?

Yea I totally agree, I'll return it and order a mopar one.

The thing that bothers me now is I had the code read at a local Jeep Specialty shop and he said it was an Evap code. And that specific code is generally a gas cap so he cleared it but it popped back on this morning :(

I haven't needed to add coolant but then again I haven't really checked, it's not leaking? I know the 01's had that head that can crack and I asked my Jeep mechanic about it and he said there is no reason to even think about that unless it's been over heated.

Yea I totally agree, I'll return it and order a mopar one.

The thing that bothers me now is I had the code read at a local Jeep Specialty shop and he said it was an Evap code. And that specific code is generally a gas cap so he cleared it but it popped back on this morning :(

That could be anything from an unhooked vaccuum line, to a cracked vaccuum boot, to the fuel cap, to a half a dozen other things. Start checking hoses and connections. It could still be the fuel cap. If he only cleared the codes and didn't replace the cap, it could still be faulty or not seated properly.

Evap codes come in 2 flavors - slow leak and fast leak.
Either could be gas cap OR it could be the single walled rubber hose used to connect the gray piping from the evap lak pump to the canister/tank.
I found them cracked and leaking on both my '01s.

If the gas cap doesn't fix it, look to the lines.

Back