• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CONTROL ARM BOLT broken

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
So I welded on some beefy lower control arm brackets to my front diff from trail gear. They have adjustment slots and use cam bolts, I got them all from trailgear. Put it all together went for a little sunday wheel with my wife, and found a bolt head under the jeep where I park. I knew exactly where it was from. MY JEEP I just fixed . what may cause this? Kind of scary...
2013-03-15152112_zpsf16586b1.jpg

looks rusty like it has been fractured for some time?
i would think that flat would create a stress riser as well, especially if it was case hardened before they cut it.
that seems like a solution looking for a problem.

Seems like just a cheap quality metal they used for the bolt. I am willing to bet that a stock bolt from a ram truck or similar that has ecentrics would work and be stronger then that. Quick trip to junkyard, Find ecentric bolts and try it out.

yup.

Thanks guys,I'll be getting a set of these. Thankyou for the offer overland, but shipping would be silly to here. I just found out this is the same company I got the camber bolts I needed to lift my subaru. So I'm hoping it was a one off failure!

It doesn't look like there is any radius from where the head meets the shank making it easier to pop the head off. As Vanimal mentioned, the specs of rust make you think that it was defective right out of the box. Improper plating can cause hydrogen embrittlement also.

Back