• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 xj dash short

h0t4r0d

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 xj that I purchased recently. Notice that it has developed a dash short. Start the vehicle and everything is good, then once and a while all the dash gauges and dash lights quit working and the airbag light comes on. If i fiddle with the headlight switch the gauges and dash lights come alive again. seems more prevalent at night when the headlight switch is on. Rig has 288,000 original miles with many replacement parts. Could it be as easy as a worn out headlight switch with a dead spot in it? Does the power for the gauges run thru the headlight switch? Need Help, not electrically inclined at all.

I have a 98 xj that I purchased recently. Notice that it has developed a dash short. Start the vehicle and everything is good, then once and a while all the dash gauges and dash lights quit working and the airbag light comes on. If i fiddle with the headlight switch the gauges and dash lights come alive again. seems more prevalent at night when the headlight switch is on. Rig has 288,000 original miles with many replacement parts. Could it be as easy as a worn out headlight switch with a dead spot in it? Does the power for the gauges run thru the headlight switch? Need Help, not electrically inclined at all.

The instrument cluster/dash lights does go through the dimmer function of the headlmp switch.

It's a common problem with the 97+ Cherokees. My '98 does the same thing occasionally. The dash cluster is electrically connected to the dash through a single connector that is pressed together when the cluster is "snapped" into place in the dash. Occasionally, the connections get a little loose and it produces exactly the symptoms you're seeing.

I generally just give the dash a good hard push at the top center, right behind the steering wheel. Just push it straight towards the windshield. That clears it up every time on mine... At least for a while. It happens so infrequently, and the "fix" is so simple, I've never bothered to look into a more permanent solution.

It's a common problem with the 97+ Cherokees. My '98 does the same thing occasionally. The dash cluster is electrically connected to the dash through a single connector that is pressed together when the cluster is "snapped" into place in the dash. Occasionally, the connections get a little loose and it produces exactly the symptoms you're seeing.

I generally just give the dash a good hard push at the top center, right behind the steering wheel. Just push it straight towards the windshield. That clears it up every time on mine... At least for a while. It happens so infrequently, and the "fix" is so simple, I've never bothered to look into a more permanent solution.

The screws that hold the gauge cluster in place are probably loose. Also, some foam or stiff rubber behind the connectors can help it from rattling loose.

The connector bus that is behind the gauge cluster is loose. Use all of your fingertips
(both hands) and gently press hard on the center of the gauge cluster further into the
dash ...just don't break the thing!

Back