• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker and 242 question...

Reclipse

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, 93 4.0, auto, NP242, 30 front and 44 rear. I have been reading a ton and have been getting, well, not really a direct answer.

I want to put an Aussie locker in the rear and keep the front open. Can I still use the Full time option on the street? I have read it will act like part time if I lock the front, but what about just the rear?

I want to keep the 242 for the roads here in Denver when it gets snowy and ice covered, but I do have a 231 just in case. The 242 has been irritating me lately, being difficult to disengage.

Can i get some insight on this. Thanks in advance.

yes you can do exactly that. i had a locker in the back and a truetrac limited slip up front and used full time a couple of times on the street. it was great.

locking the front will not make it act like part time. your transfer case will not be harmed using full time on pavement, locked in the front or not. it just puts a lot more stress on the front axle itself and makes turning terrible

the best was to disengage it is while moving at a decent speed. id say above 25 mph, release throttle, give a firm quick push into 2wd and tap the throttle. i like to keep my hand on the shifter when i tap the throttle because i can usually feel it click into 2wd.

X2 no problem locking the rear and using fulltime. I ran that way for a long time. From what I've gathered if you lock the rear and front your not supposed to use fulltime at all, just part time.

You can stil use full time. Your front axle will just be under a lot more stress if on pavement. Other than that it's still less strain on the transfercase.

X2 no problem locking the rear and using fulltime. I ran that way for a long time. From what I've gathered if you lock the rear and front your not supposed to use fulltime at all, just part time.

I keep reading pretty much the same thing, but I guess it makes sense on what 1990jeepxj says, I mean the TC does act as an open diff when in full time. I guess Ill lock the rear for now and keep the front open. I may even look into a LS for the front, definitely in the future.

That's what I did. Having a locked rear and truetrac front was a great combo and complimented the 242 nicely. I would do it again in a heartbeat to a stockish DD if I lived in a snowy place.

Re: Re: Locker and 242 question...

the best was to disengage it is while moving at a decent speed. id say above 25 mph, release throttle, give a firm quick push into 2wd and tap the throttle. i like to keep my hand on the shifter when i tap the throttle because i can usually feel it click into 2wd.

That's exactly how I shift my 242, works like a charm.

Well, I just got a healthy promotion at work the other day, so it looks like locker for the rear an gonna save for a selectable locker for the front which should be pretty soon. Im only running 31's and 3.55 gears, not fun on the hills but gets me where I need to. I enjoy it, but with open diffs, kind of hairy on some trails, having the locker I know will make a world of difference on the trail. But both locked, I think I may have more fun and have less worry. Thanks for input guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can afford it and are doing selectable in the front you might as well make the rear selectable too. Only a few hundred more

Back