• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Vibration Thread...

Spearfisher XJ

NAXJA Forum User
1988 XJ 4.0 AX15 231 SYE, HP 9" F/R, 5.5" lift.
Transfer case rebuilt 1000 miles ago.
Tranny rebuilt 7K ago.

I Get vibes around 40 mph and up. I recently rotated my 33" BFG ATs about 500 miles ago. The vibes started last week and I thought it was from rotating my tires, but I switched them back and they still vibe. Driveshafts and U joints are new. I've searched and it seems like most people have problems with the tires needing a rotation, but I just did that and it seems like it caused my problem. My driveshaft angles are close to flat. It has new Johnny Joints on the LCAs, Newer Rock Krawler track bar, MORE motor mounts (about 50k miles on them, will replace soon). I'm thinking it has something to do with my transfer case? I get the vibes in the whole car and steering wheel and it's hard to feel where it's coming from. TRE's are just OK, and will need replacement in the future.

What do you guys think?

I can see how pulling the rear shaft would help isolate the problem, but pulling the front shaft wouldn't accomplish anything since it never spins unless the transfer case is engaged and the outer hubs are locked?

the drive shaft might have slung a weight, or trans/engine mounts might be going bad, does the vibration stop when your out of the throttle ?

cupped tires could definetly do it. check your alignment too.

check for missing wheel weights. you could have a bad DS u joint, possibly a pinion u joint. I would pull the caps on the rear pinion u joint to make sure its not journaled.

cupped tires could definetly do it. check your alignment too.

check for missing wheel weights. you could have a bad DS u joint, possibly a pinion u joint. I would pull the caps on the rear pinion u joint to make sure its not journaled.

Just got tires re balanced today.

Came down with a sinus infection this week, will pull rear DS and inspect U joints this weekend hopefully.

definetly isnt helping thats for sure. How bad does it look? pics?

Bad tranny mount would allow the vibration to continue forward to motor mount. Example, a rear bad U-Joint's vibration instead of being somewhat dampened by the tran. mount, would continue even further up the drive train in a more noticeable way, similar as to how you have described. My broken trans. mount does not cause my XJ any vibrations, but then I do not have a high lift as you do with yours.

How long ago did you grease your joints? If neglected, then I'd suspect bad U-Joints. Do what the other fellows have suggested.

Well I replaced the destroyed transmission mount and the vibes were still there. Then, even though the rear DS felt tight, I pulled it any ways and inspected all of the u joints. One of the U joints on the Double Knuckle set up was worn a little bit, so I replaced it and It's good now. CHECK YOUR U JOINTS EVEN IF THEY SEEM TIGHT.

I would pull the caps on the rear pinion u joint to make sure its not journaled.

Glad you found it!!!! I should have said all u joints, i just hate pulling the CVs apart, and the pinion joint is normally the culprit since it is not sharing one angle between two joints like the tcase side .... if the DS was redone not too long ago, then how are your DS to pinion angles and t case output??

Glad you found it!!!! I should have said all u joints, i just hate pulling the CVs apart, and the pinion joint is normally the culprit since it is not sharing one angle between two joints like the tcase side .... if the DS was redone not too long ago, then how are your DS to pinion angles and t case output??

I have the same set up as you.. 5.5" lift with HP Currie 9" F/R. They were cheap joints that went in because I was super short on cash and they were readily available.

Back