• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

corporate 8.25 question

Anthropy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 with the 8.25 rear axle. I know that after '96, they beefed up the 8.25. Can one beef up an older 8.25 or does one need just upgrade the whole axle.

The junk yards around my area are pretty proud of most all of the axles other wise I would find an old ford with an 8.8 diff.

Tom Dennis

Last edited:
That is good to know as right now I have 3.07 gears and want to go to a 4.11 ratio. I think that will work about right as I have a 5 speed manual and currently have 30's and want to go to 31"

Just for clarification purposes--the ring and pinion gears don't need to be changed,only the spider gears(the drive gears inside the ring and pinion's carrier). While it is advisable to ditch those 3.07's,it's not necessary to do so just to swap out the axle shafts :)

97 and newer xj 8.25 axles have 29 spline axles & the dana 30 went to dana 44 u-joints (297-x) from 95-1/2 and newer. I have a ford 8.8 with 4.88 gears in my 94' yj I'm selling and I think it is a great axle. Easy to find and probably the most worthy and cheapest factory produced axle you can stick under a newer jeep, to bad it comes from a ford, but hey they also had the rev dana 44 & 60 under the f series trucks. After I sell my 94' yj that's currently on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=6285&item=2432488415

I'm going to build up my 95 xj se. The only problem is it has abs brakes and I heard that its a little tricky to swap in axles with abs. The 8.25 is a decent axle and it can be had for cheap, but it doesn't have the parts availability of a dana 44 and then a ford 8.8

Anthropy,

The changeover to the 29 spline shafts actually occurred mid-96. Are you sure you don't already have the 29 spline shafts?

the 95s dont have abs
I have a 95 and 2 years ago i jackknifed a trailor when the brakes locked up

spaulman said:
Anthropy,

The changeover to the 29 spline shafts actually occurred mid-96. Are you sure you don't already have the 29 spline shafts?

I have not had the beastie appart. What part of the shaft / differential do I need to check?

You have to open up the diff cover and pull a shaft to check. Count the splines on the end of the shaft.

You will need to remove the cross pin and c-clips to remove the shaft.

What month/year was your XJ made?

arnt 8.25's non clip? i thought they were held in by a plate like the 87 44's

Back