• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NEED HELP!

Reds00xj

NAXJA Forum User
I tried getting help on CF and no luck. I want to build my DD XJ. Id like to keep it a DD but be capable of trails. Nothing crazy. No mudding or rock crawling. And well i have a bunch of questions. I have searched but get mixed answers to every question.

My XJ:
2000 XJ
4.0l6
AW4-NP231
D30(F)-Chry8.25(R)

-Going to lift with RE 4.5 super flex and monotube shocks. In process of buying

-Would like to go with either 32's or 33"s. not sure what size yet. Also really like the wide stance. Advice needed.

-Also pretty sure i would need to regear. Sees very little HW. But still sees some. So im guessing its either between 4.56 or 4.88. 33's would be max tire size i would want. Also a SYE

-Dont know what else i would need to finish this build and be fully capable of using it 24/7.

Would like to do this on a reasonable budget. I know its not going to be cheap but the less I have to spend the better.

TIA, Red

I tried getting help on CF and no luck. I want to build my DD XJ. Id like to keep it a DD but be capable of trails. Nothing crazy. No mudding or rock crawling. And well i have a bunch of questions. I have searched but get mixed answers to every question.

My XJ:
2000 XJ
4.0l6
AW4-NP231
D30(F)-Chry8.25(R)

-Going to lift with RE 4.5 super flex and monotube shocks. In process of buying

-Would like to go with either 32's or 33"s. not sure what size yet. Also really like the wide stance. Advice needed.

what do you want to know? get smaller backspacing wheels or wheel spacers to push them out further

-Also pretty sure i would need to regear. Sees very little HW. But still sees some. So im guessing its either between 4.56 or 4.88. 33's would be max tire size i would want. Also a SYE
4.56 is generally the go to 33" tire gear ratio, but im a big fan of lower gearing so i'd go 4.88.

-Dont know what else i would need to finish this build and be fully capable of using it 24/7.

go ahead and add a slip yolk eliminator to your list of parts. you will more than likely need one after you lift it. also, im not exactly sure what the kit comes with but i would add extended brake lines to the list if the kit doesnt come with them. stock lines will be very short for that lift

Would like to do this on a reasonable budget. I know its not going to be cheap but the less I have to spend the better.

TIA, Red

well id rather get the right wheels instead of using spacers. i like the look of 33's on 4.5 but dont know of a good 33x10.5 or 11.5x15 A/T. basically i need to do more research on the tire i want to use also height and width. As for gearing i would like to see close to stock MPG's in city and on highway. so im thinking 4.88's might be too much but you guys know better than i do so advice is needed to determine. and the kit comes with coils, full leafs, upper and lower arms, QD's, extended brake lines, shakles, t case drop kit, adj. track bar, u bolts and hardware.

Beef up your steering a bit add some sliders armor and recovery points and you'll be in pretty capable shape for trail runs and DD.

After that there USA million different directions you could go with upgrades. Start wheeling and figure out what you need.

Any recommendations on tires would be great. Also what brand of steering stabilizer would you recommend or are they all the same. If i had to pick from what i read it would be OME but would rather save money if its just like everything else. Also can i re gear a D30 LP to 4.56 or would i have to do a swap?

Kevlar shoe-strings work better..... They make Jeeps bullet proof

I think you have a pretty good start already you can always upgrade more as you go along

Well thanks for the input. And when i say a reasonable budget i dont mean i want the cheapest parts. if i have to i have no problem buying quality parts that cost quite a bit. i had bought a Rough Country 3 inch lift and returned it because i wanted quality. but if i can get by and save some money you bet your a** ill do it. im just starting and starting to learn from peoples info and research.

So im still stumped on the tire subject. I like the wide stance on XJ's. What width 33 inch tire should i go with to achieve this. Most likely gonna get cragars so what back spacing would give me that look.

All armor and bumpers and what not will be later on down the line. right now I'm working on suspension and tires. then drivetrain. then accessories.

"Reasonable Budget" is a purely subjective term and even less so when discussing Jeep upgrades.

Can you build a rig on a shoe-string budget?
Sure....but who wants a rig held together with shoestrings? ;)

Haha, I didn't mean nothing by it my man. I myself I'm a broke as a joke self sustaining college student. I coulda picked up a free bastard pack and some coil pucks with some abused 32's fer dirt cheap but nooooOOoOoo, my picky selfs holding out for complete $1300 3.5 OME package and some purrdy new 31' m/t baja claws.

I ain't putting shoestrings on ma baby

Its cool. Im not broke. But i cannot afford a 2500 dollar kit. but im already planning on spending alot more than that for everything. RE 4.5 superflex with mono tubes installed 2,200. Currie Currectlync 480. 4.56 gears 460. SYE and driveshaft 500-600. RE stabilizer 60. Wheels and tires 1200 or so. Rounding if you cant tell.Probably missing stuff that i will need. But it will on be done in time. Im in no rush to spend +4k and then have to keep gas in that beast.

Any advice to help me not spend as much and get the same if not better quality parts would be very appreciated. Once all is done i think i will have a very dependable DD and trail/explorer rig.

Back