• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front 44 trackbar mounting question

Outlander560

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I did do some research and I was wondering what your opinions are on the subject.

I'm going to be building a waggy 44 or narrowing a hp44 depending on which one falls on my lap first and for the right price.

Either way I have a d30 up front running 5.5 inches of lift radius Long arms and chevy 1 ton steering. I have a clayton track bar with a double shear bracket and I do like that track bar.

My question to you guys is when I put this axle in can I use this bracket from ballistic fab http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/XJ--TJ-Jeep-combo-bracket-upgrade-kit_p_1542.html

so I can keep my track bar? Will I run into issues with bump steer or anything of the matter that will cause ill effect on my steering or handling because it is my DD still.

Or should I go the route I see from a handful of people and build a track bar with hiems? Benefits one over the other? besides the obvious of better travel and clearance from the custom trackbar.

I recommend making a straight track bar with heims and installing an over-the-axle track bar mount from Ruffstuff or another NAXJA supporter. This will be the most durable setup in the long run.

If your steering is staying utk, you do not want to go ota track bar. Bumpsteer will be horrible. I run the ballistic brackets on my hp 44, and the trackbar mount worked fine with my rubicon express tb. When I went high steer, I made a bracket and straight trac bar with heims to keep the angle of the tb and drag link the same.

i might flip it OTK but i won't be going high steer any time soon I like the setup I have currently I have been running it two years...when the time comes for whatever reason and I want to go high steer i think i will do what you did zach....unless you think i will get bumpsteer with going OTK.

the drag link should still be relatively close or am i mistaken if i go OTK?

Re: Re: Front 44 trackbar mounting question

i might flip it OTK but i won't be going high steer any time soon I like the setup I have currently I have been running it two years...when the time comes for whatever reason and I want to go high steer i think i will do what you did zach....unless you think i will get bumpsteer with going OTK.

the drag link should still be relatively close or am i mistaken if i go OTK?
Depends. If you get a Ford axle the steering arms on the knuckles are higher on the knuckle than Chevy. So with Ford knuckles and those brackets you may want to stay UTK. With a Waggy, you may want to go OTK.

Also you're steering plays into it. Are you keeping your steering or going to a heim setup?

Best thing to do is get the axle and see what setup gives you the best angles. Axle, knuckles, pitman arm, frame side and axle side trackbar mounts and steering setup all play into it.

if i get the waggy 44 it will come with chevy flat top knuckles...but i wont be going high steer with the flat tops...yet it just comes with the axle....if i go with this axle i was planning on keepin my 1 ton steering same with the ford 44...
what i'm trying to say is that the steering and the track bar are about 2 years old and i love both of them...i just don't want to have to buy new steering components and a new track bar if i really don't have to..

With that set up, your track bar keeps about the same position on the axle - so yes, you could use that and you should see little to no change in steering. That is assuming you have your bar under the coil right now in the stock position. When I did my D44, I did about the same thing. I kept the Clayton track bar set up and had the axle mount below the coil like that. Did not have troubles. I went to flat tops and crossover steering eventually and went with an OTA track bar. I like the simplicity of it, but the UTA mount was not really causing me any trouble while I had it for 5 years.
I would say get that Ballistic and keep the track bar and see what you think. I doubt you will have any trouble.

Back