• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

socket for a dana 30 axle shaft removal

ghettocherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to install a lock right in my Dana 30. The stock 3.55 's are to big to get the pinion shaft out. So removing the carrier is the next option. I don't have a large enough socket to get one of the nuts off. Does anyone around the sugarhouse area have one? Anyone with experience willing to help would be much appreciated.

Yes that's it. 12pt 13mm bolts. Remove the hubs attached to the axles and you don't have to deal with the 36mm axle nut

And putting it back in? I am assuming I will need my rubber mallet. I know to make the carrier and the ring gear so they go back together the same.
carrier and ring gear dosnt matter, its the bearing caps and races that have to go back the same

i had to remove my ring gear to remove the cross shaft as well. 3.55s. i still marked the ring gear/carrier with a paint pen. cant hurt, right? most will tell you to get new ring gear bolts, i reused mine. no issues so far. LOCKTTITE!

the ring gear bolts are also right hand thread. i know some ring gears are left... and wasnt confident when i was taking mine out... so i was calling around like a mad man trying to figure it out. lol.

Back