• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Better Illumination -- with LEDs

raneil

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
First up: The stock Cherokee dome lights leave much to be desired, especially compared to most newer vehicles. I always hated how dim the interior is, and especially hated having to break out a flashlight to find something in the cargo area after dark. Hence this illuminating project.

First up: replace the bulbs in the existing dome and courtesy (foot well) lights with LEDs. I chose these flexible LED light bulb replacements from Oznium.com:

5mm%20Flexible.jpg

The flexibility allowed them to squeeze into position in the overhead console with very little effort. I didn't even use the adhesive backing. And the multiple adaptors that come with each one ensure that you can use them to replace virtually any automotive light bulb (space permitting, of course).

IMG_5450.jpg

In the footwells, the wire length allowed the LEDs to be more centered under the dash, and the adhesive backing made it a simple peel and stick installation.

IMG_5437.jpg

The results were mixed. The footwells were very well illuminated, but the rest of the interior showed little improvement -- yes, the quality/color of the light seemed better, but it wasn't significantly brighter than with the factory incandescent bulbs.

IMG_5436.jpg

Clearly, more lights were needed. Next up was the addition of these surface-mount LED fixtures from autoillumination.com:

Polished%20Stainless.jpg

They're polished stainless steel and use 5 surface-mount LEDs. They draw only 220ma@12V and produce 240 lumens of output -- now we're talking!

Here they are without the lenses, being prepped for painting:

IMG_0773.jpg

Lenses taped off and reinstalled:

IMG_0774.jpg

In the uber-sophisticated paint booth (a 55-gallon drum liner cut up and draped over 4 spay cans on the garage floor):

IMG_0775.jpg

While the paint was drying, four switches were added to the overhead console -- each new light can be individually switched off in the event that some whiney passengers decide it's TOO bright:

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0777.jpg

Installed:

IMG_5411.jpg

They work!

IMG_5407.jpg

IMG_5406.jpg

MUCH better -- the photos simply don't do it justice. The difference is huge; now we can see EVERYTHING in there.

IMG_5443.jpg

More to come...

Next up: the cargo area. Inspired by this JP Magazine article, the useless old factory cargo-area dome light was replaced with one of these dual-bulb fixtures from Camping World. After a quick trip through the uber-sophisticated paint booth, an additional button was installed. This was done so the light can be turned on even with the doors closed, such as when camping in the back of the Jeep (I've never actually done this, and probably never will. But it was an easy feature to add, and the switch was just lying around in a drawer. So so I figured, "why not?").

IMG_5445.jpg

The included incandescent bulbs were replaced with these corn-cob LEDs (sourced from ebay):

Cargo%20Area%20LED%20bulb.JPG

I can see clearly now the bulbs are gone!

IMG_5448.jpg

IMG_5376.jpg

Next up: Replace the old ARB switches and their goofy/backwards illumination. Using new actuators from the good folks over at otrattw.com and LED versions of the Carling Contura II rocker switches, the look is much more OEM-like:

IMG_5413.jpg

And the illumination is now correct -- the graphic (used to identify the switch in the dark) is illuminated with the dash lights, and the status indicator is illuminated when the switch is turned on:

IMG_5420.jpg

IMG_5422.jpg

The stock green LEDs in the Carling switches were replaced with turquoise LEDs and a dimmer circuit was added to better match the XJ's dash illumination color & brightness. My wife just rolled her eyes and walked back in the house, shaking her head slowly while muttering something about having married a geek. Bless her heart.

IMG_5432.jpg

But wait, there's more!

Next up: Loading lights. Inspired by http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=916188&highlight=lift-gate+lights]this thread, I decided we need loading lights. Just in case. These LED floods available from several sources including ebay, seemed a perfect choice (18W, 1,350 lumens EACH). Yeah, that ought to do it:

LoadingLights.jpg

Using the tapped holes on the back of the lights and a piece of 1/8 x 1-1/4 flat stock I found over in the corner of the garage, the lights were mounted in the lift-gate. No sheet metal was cut, just a few holes were drilled.

IMG_0783.jpg

Two holes were cut in the trim panel with a 4.5" hole saw; they had to be slightly enlarged after that. Next, the switch was installed and the trim panel replaced:

IMG_5368.jpg

IMG_5375.jpg

The result:

IMG_5379.jpg

Next up: under the hood. Saw these one day at Northern Tool, so I grabbed one:

Underhood%20Light%20Fixture.jpg

Again, the included incandescent bulb was replaced with one of the corn-cob LED "bulbs" from ebay. It was mounted in the center of the hood, near the front. A few strategically placed pieces of tin foil inside the lens keep the light out of your eyes and shining on the motor. Sorry, no pics yet (coming soon).

And finally, the obligatory reverse light. Between the tinted windows and the lame factory reverse lights on this thing, backing up in the dark was a crapshoot at best. It's a miracle I haven't killed someone. But, no more. I added one of these 72W, 5,400 lumen light bars (sourced from ebay):

72W%20Lightbar.jpg

Pics showing the install and the actual light output coming soon.

And that's it -- for now. Overall, I couldn't be happier with the results. And my wife will learn to appreciate all of this at some point, right? Right?

Great Job!! not sure f/the post, but have you upgraded your wiring/charging/etc to handle the increased Lumens? :)

Do tell... and looking forward to your reverse light set up as I can't stand the reverse lights on my '01 XJ... or any other OE XJ for that matter.

Great Job!! not sure f/the post, but have you upgraded your wiring/charging/etc to handle the increased Lumens? :)

Not necessary. The current draw from these projects is pretty low, and the impact/load on the electrical system is negligible. Especially considering the low duty cycle of each one. That's a big advantage of using LEDs.

Do tell... and looking forward to your reverse light set up as I can't stand the reverse lights on my '01 XJ... or any other OE XJ for that matter.

No doubt -- the stock backup lights are useless. The light bar works very well, though. If I had it to do over again, I might consider using two smaller lights and angling them to the sides just a bit. Visibility looking straight back is fantastic, but if you're turning and backing in the dark, the visibility behind and to the sides could be better. Nonetheless, I'm pretty pleased with the results. The improvement is just huge. I'll try to get some pictures posted later.

As promised, pics of the reverse light bar:

IMG_4417.jpg

IMG_4418.jpg

IMG_4422.jpg

After much consideration, I decided to route the power wire directly through the roof (rather than out the lift-gate opening) using a waterproof cable feed-through like this one from New Age Marine:

Newmar-RA1.jpeg

IMG_4419.jpg

Here are a few test shots after dark. I placed my daughter's bicycle at the end of the driveway, approximately 35 yards from the back of the Jeep. For the record, the exposure settings are identical for each of the two photos below (1.3 sec @ f/5.6, ISO 400, for you photogs out there).

With only the factory reverse lights, you can just barely see the reflectors on the bicycle:

IMG_4435.jpg

With the light bar turned on... well, you can SEE!

IMG_4436.jpg

I'm not sure the neighbors share my enthusiasm for the new reverse light. ;)

Excellent work.

That is by far one of the CLEANEST XJ interiors I've ever seen. Go hit that thing with a sledgehammer or something.... :D

My first reaction to seeing the change with the new rear-view lights was "HOLY SH!!T!!"... ha. I hope your neighbors bedroom is on the backside of their house. ;)

I know it wouldn't provide the same level of output... but I wonder if there is a replacement LED bulb that one could swap into the stock backup light location? Did you look in this direction before going the route you did? Your new LED light bar is crazy good!!

Great Job!! not sure f/the post, but have you upgraded your wiring/charging/etc to handle the increased Lumens? :

In an effort to eliminate the seat-of-the-pants guesswork, I took some current measurements. It turns out that even after adding the 4 new LED fixtures, the new dome light installation draws only 2.34 amps. The old factory incandescent setup drew 4.76 amps -- a reduction of better than 50%.

The lift-gate lights draw just under 1 amp apiece, and the reverse light draws right at 6 amps.

Love this thread... and thanks for the followups.

Had you considered something like this for the back-up lights?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...p-cherokee--front+turn+signal/30-350--114291/

I have no idea if they'd be brighter/better than OE, but if they would put out a better light then I'd love to give them a try. I might have to order just to see how well they work.

Yes indeed. In fact, those are essentially the same "bulbs" I used for the rear cargo area (see post #2 of this thread). They are brighter than the equivalent incandescents, but not by much. I bought some extras but haven't used them to replace the factory incandescent backup lights yet. I will at some point. I doubt it'll make any visible difference with the light bar on, though.

Holy snot Batman, that backup light lol!

I'm impressed nice job!

You don't happen to be this guy? lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s4x-GflKio

Ha! No, that's not me. But it's surprisingly close! Why? Because I have two lights mounted on my front bumper that the previous owner claimed are "landing assist lights" from a 727. He made a point to say they weren't landing lights, but landing assist lights. I have no idea what the difference is, but he seemed to imply that it was significant. He works (or worked at the time, anyway) as an aircraft mechanic for Federal Express out at D/FW airport. He claimed that they were surplus bulbs that he put into some auxiliary light enclosures from Tractor Supply.

They certainly are bright, but I'm not sure they're really any brighter than any after market high-powered lights (KC daylights, Hella's, etc). I use them because they're paid for, and they work well. He had four of them on the roof of the Jeep when I bought it. I removed them and relocated two of them to the front bumper, and keep the other two in the garage for spares.

Back