• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broke my 9". need advice

Overdriven

NAXJA Member #1020
At winterfest I broke a bearing cap and broke some teeth off both the ring and pinion gears. I've always looked at bearing caps as being matched to each side they were on. . Would it be okay to snag new bearing caps from another third member or should I be looking for a new third member altogether?

I also have a NASCAR detroit locker with the 3.25 bearings. If I have to replace the whole thing I may as well get a strange case to run it. Although this would be the best way to go, funds are tight right now and if I can get away with just the cap I will.

Call spidertrax or currie or strange. Chances are they will have you send them the third so they can machine a new bearing cap.

Found my own answer. Bearing caps are machined in place. There is no swapping caps from another center section. This kind of break is fairly common. Upgrades are a Nodular center section or one of the upgraded units from Currie, Strange, Yukon, etc.

Back