• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise control questions

Jhumphrey

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I decided to add cruise to my xj. After reading a few write ups, off to the junkyard I went. I found a 1997 model (mines a 98) that had cruise and had all the parts I needed: clockspring, actuator w/cable, and steering wheel switches. So I pulled them and installed them today. End result: no cruise. So what could be wrong?

When I switch the button "on", I do not have the green indicator on the dash and the cruise doesn't work. My horn works and the airbag light is not on. That tells me that the c/s isn't broken. I looked over the vacuum lines and they look ok. I'm not sure if they're connected, but I did pull the fuse to my abs system awhile ago due to the PO swapping the rear axle from a d35 to a c8.25. Just thought maybe the fuses were shared, so I wanted to throw that out there.

Any help would be appreciated!

m only suggestion would be to try another clockspring/switch combo. when i installed this on my dads 98 we got the same result, couldn't figure it out. we pulled everything from an xj marked as a 98. the jy had a decent return policy though so we went back and turns out the jeep marked as a 98 was actually a 99. the switches changed in 99(not physically, but electrically). we found another (real) 98, got the switches from that and boom....cruise worked.

i dont think the abs fuses have anything to do with it. my 01 came with stock cruise, i pulled my abs fuses when i put an 8.8 in it and cruise still works fine. seeing as how the cruise light doesnt even come on for you i would say the problem is either clockspring or switch. good luck.

Thanks. The JY doesnt have anymore c/s, so Ill have to wait until another one comes about before I can replace it. Ill also pull the buttons and see if they are getting a bad connection or something.

From what I read, 97-98 and then 99-01 were the breaks. What seems odd to me is that I got the system off of the same jeep (97, iirc). Maybe it was marked wrong and is a 99+? Would that make a difference? Since I have a 98 model, do I have to have a 97-98 cruise or can I have a 99+ cruise with a 99+ button?

From what I read, 97-98 and then 99-01 were the breaks. What seems odd to me is that I got the system off of the same jeep (97, iirc). Maybe it was marked wrong and is a 99+? Would that make a difference? Since I have a 98 model, do I have to have a 97-98 cruise or can I have a 99+ cruise with a 99+ button?

The 97-98 cruise and the 99+ are the same, except for the buttons! You have to have 97-98 buttons for it to work. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1038194

Right. I got my cruise set up from a fully intact 97. Therefore, the buttons should be compatible with the system. Maybe the year model was a 99+, not a 97. But, that shouldn't matter...the entire system was pulled from a single xj, not Frankenstein together...right?

Last edited:
Right. I got my cruise set up from a fully intact 97. Therefore, the buttons should be compatible with the system. Maybe the year model was a 99+, not a 97. But, that shouldn't matter...the entire system was pulled from a single xj, not Frankenstein together...right?

You need to test the buttons you have, according to this:

"Resistances for each button, 97-98:
No switches depressed: open circuit
Cruise on switch depressed: 909 ohms (tolerance 9 ohms)
Resume/accel switch depressed: 15400 ohms (tolerance 154 ohms)
Set switch depressed:
6650 ohms (tolerance 66 ohms)
Coast switch depressed: 2940 ohms (tolerance 29 ohms)
Cancel switch depressed: 0 ohms (short circuit)"

The buttons must match to your XJ year (because of the PCM, I guess)!! If the buttons aren't from 97-98, your cruise will not work.

I ordered a set of 97-98 buttons and installed them. Going down the highway, cruise light came on! Great! Hit the "set" button and....nada.

What to check next?

UPDATE: After checking out a couple of forums using my Google-Fu, I found out that the brake light switch is connected to the CC. So, I went back out, traveled down the road, and switched on the CC. I than took my left foot and pressed UP on the brake pedal fairly hard and pressed the "set" button. Yep, cruise control.

So, I need to adjust my switch. I found a link here on how to do it. Is that the correct procedure? Could adjusting it really be that simple?

Ok...so I followed the steps from my above link. My switch didnt "ratchet" like his did, but seemed to have adjusted. I tried it today without pressing up on the brake pedal and it worked!

Success!

Back