• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Gremlins

flipper59

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ with a 4.0l, auto and every time I step on the brake pedal my dash lights an front marker lights come on. Checked all the wiring and replaced all the bulbs and everything seems to be ok. Could a faulty brake light switch cause this? Anybody else had this problem? Thx

The only thing I can think of is wiring. Have you tested it while someone was holding down the brake? Sounds stupid but my buddies side markers were staying on all the time. Took us 3 days to figure out he tapped the wrong wire into his stereo...

Sounds like a bad ground, problem is finding out which ground. Electrons are not well educated, all they know is to look for a ground, if they find one through another set of wires and devices, so be it.

Somebody had one here a few years ago that sounded haunted, horn and headlights and radio (or something like that) all cycled on and off when he tried to roll up an electric window up.

New to NAXJA and I am having some trouble with the brake lights on my 99 XJ not working. I have changed the fuse and everything else on the circuit works, but I still have no brake lights! I noticed I have some broken wires in the back hatch that look like they lead to the third brake light, could this be the culprit or ????

New to NAXJA and I am having some trouble with the brake lights on my 99 XJ not working. I have changed the fuse and everything else on the circuit works, but I still have no brake lights! I noticed I have some broken wires in the back hatch that look like they lead to the third brake light, could this be the culprit or ????

Maybe, but check the brake light peddle switch too.

Lemme take a quick look at my 96 FSM... will edit this post if I find anything interesting.

EDIT: does it matter if the headlights are on or not? The marker lights on a 96 are wired in a rather interesting way, they are across the two filaments of the front park/turn signal lamps so if either filament of the park/turn signal is on BUT NOT BOTH, they will illuminate. The park/turn signal lamps ground via circuit Z1, splice 129, splice 104, and ground 104, I'll look up the locations for those...

Ground 104: driver inner fender by the ECU and air filter. Make sure it's clean and tight.

Dash lights meaning what? The illumination ones, or the turn signal indicators? They all ground via Z1 to splice 205 to ground 201.

Ground 201: a ring terminal on a screw under the driver side of the dashboard. Connects a black wire to the sheetmetal dashboard frame.

The rear brake lights ground through G301, which is in the rear left kick panel in the trunk near all the connectors over the hump in the floor for the fuel tank fill hoses.

Last edited:
Back