• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which steering box (Durango or XJ)?

Red91Laredo

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace my worn out steering box and was thinking of installing the Durango box that I see a lot of people suggest as an upgrade. I know this has been discussed to death, however, after searching and reading a bunch of threads on it I'm just confused. A lot of what I found was contradictory information, so maybe you guys can help clear some things up...

I mainly do NOT want to slow the steering ratio (i.e. increase number of turns lock to lock) or increase my turning radius dramatically. 'Maneuverability' due to a relatively quick steering ratio and a tight turning circle is one of the things I like best about the XJ. According to Napa's website the Durango box is a slightly faster ratio, but maybe someone who has actually installed one on an XJ can comment?

Will the Durango box increase my turning circle? I've read that it will and also seen threads where someone said it made no difference.

As far as steering 'feel' or effort, will that increase or decrease with a Durango box and the stock XJ pump? I've read that the Durango box will increase assist over the XJ box (making the steering 'lighter' / easier to turn the wheel) since it has a larger bore, and I've also read that without a different pump it will actually take more effort to turn the wheel, I guess due to the larger bore not getting as much fluid pressure over a given area or something to that effect... so again which is correct?

My main reason for wanting to upgrade is not so much to change the steering response or feel, but rather just to install something that will last longer. I know the Durango box is a bigger, stouter piece, but I don't know if that means it will actually last any longer when I'm putting street miles on it. Thoughts on that? Eventually I'd like to run 32's or 33's (max) and do more offroading, so a beefier steering box may come in handy some day, but I think it's mainly the fact that I commute so much that seems to be killing these XJ boxes in short order.

Finally, do you guys think it's worth paying a little extra to get a reman steering box over a used one? I've read that they usually slap new seals and a coat of paint on steering boxes and call them remanufactured, but the lowest mile used Durango box I could locate (91k) is $100, and I could get an A1 Cardone reman for $120, or an Atsco for $150. Thoughts?

Last edited:
remans are a gamble. some guys have goodluck, others have bad luck with them. Id go with a low mileage used box from a stock rig(less abuse than a lifted rig with hi miles) before a reman personally.

i have run the same durango box in 2 xj's. one on 33's one on 35's. with the durango box i could turn 35's on flat ground with one finger unlike the stock one. however after almost 6 years of abuse it is so loose it takes almost 1/4 turn to keep it straight on the highway. take that with a grain of salt though cause i haven't been easy on it

Iv destroyed both. a few times. and honestly I dont think I could tell the difference between the two. other then the fact that I lost half a turn to one side.

if you want a quick ratio box I think a YJ box is supposed to be good for that. Iv also heard that old S-10 boxes also may work, but iv never read that anywhere,just repeating what someone told me once.

all my boxes eventually got so loose that they were unsafe for the street so I replaced them at first with remans and the second with low mileage junkyard boxes. I went stock xj,durango,xj,durango.

I found that I had to modify my stock pump to work well with the durango box. Once the mod was done, though, I have been very happy with it.

yea I did the west texas mods to my last durango box and I was able to turn my 37s on the trail with no assist if I put my back into it. so I guess thats saying something. lasted 2 trips. now im in the process of going full hydro.

I am going thru a stock xj steering box (1) time a year now. Just picked up a durango box to hope for some better luck, since they are heavy and a bitch to change out. Seems like a front locker & 35's is really hard on the box & I get play in the sector shaft.

I upgraded to a Durango box (99' v8 4x4 snowplow package) when I went from 31s to 33s. I now have 35s. Best thing I ever did. It was definitely tighter as far as response but not a dramatic difference in turn radius or "quickness" it just was overall tighter feeling. Also, it felt easier to turn the wheels.

I have had my durango box in for 5 years now. I have gone two tracking, mud, tank trails and dunes and drive it 60 miles per day on the highway everyday and it has lasted this long with no problems. It depends on what you do with it. There are guys here that could tear a box up like that in under a year due to what they wheel. Guys like me, since I don't do a lot of rocks, can have the same thing last longer.

If you are mostly worried about streetability, you will be happy with the added stoutness of the durango box. Look at it this way, it can only help you. I would rather have an overkill/safe steering box for my application than not.

I am not sure about the pump issues, etc. I have never heard that. I have a 01' so maybe the plumbing and pump are different in older years and that is what can be a potential problem. I don't have one.

Back