• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What locker and kind is this?

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
6aqy4eje.jpg

susunene.jpg

As far as I know, it's not a lunch box because this holds the ring gear so its a carrier as itself. Not the greatest pics but when looking it has spider gears inside it? LSD maybe? He said he had it in his TJ front axle so I know it can fit in mine and as far as I can tell he said the gear was 3.07 for his jeep. He's willing to sell super cheap but I don't know what it is or if it'll work. Anyone know?

at first looks like a dana 30 detroit truetrac that was taken apart or something, at second, I am not 100%. its not a full detroit. or some other full carrier LSD.

Forgot to mention, his front axle was a dans 30, reason why I'm trying to figure out what it is, ill try to get more pics if I get time to swing by

Yah pics of the top bolt pattern would help, not the ring gear side, the other side. the detroit true trac has 3 bolts on that side, and helical cut side gears that you can see from some of the holes in the side. I hate the truetrac and have ran them in 2 different axles in the past 7 years. I would go lunchbox+open carrier or a full carrier grizzly or detroit. unless it works and it was free, then Id just do that.

found myself mashing the brakes too much to keep it locked, then trying to drive through the brakes. way not fun when you can just count on a locker being locked up front instead of the LSD , but that was just my experience. it depends on your wheeling. we are mostly rocks out here, where you will always have a front tire off the ground at some point, and thats when it wont lock, thats the only time i need it. If you are doing lots of loose hill climbs in the mud or dirt I would imagine it would far better due to the fact both tires will be firmly planted.

I know many have had great experiences.

Ya my plan for this jeep is to be a built expedition rig, so I don't believe a locker would be needed, my rear 8.25 has the factory LSD and I plan to keep it at that, might do the alternate set up of the clutches which uses 4 friction pads instead of one. So just to be sure, you want me to take a pic of the top side?

Looks to me like a limited slip that has been burned up by clutch disks slipping. The discoloration on the case indicates it has been abused alot. Buyer beware.

did early wranglers have d44? trying to figure out what it is and the closet i can find is either trac lock or power lock? odd because those are for bigger axles. im going to try and stop by today and get more pics hopefully

that is a power-lok posi track unit. the heat treated areas that look like it has been burnt from abuse are actually from the factory.

From what I'm seeing, they are for 44, 50, 70 Dana's. was there one for Dana 30? He said he had a 30 in the front but now I'm questioning it

yes the dana 30 power loc was made (no longer made) for scout 2s, early bronco's, and i am pretty sure jaguar used them too. they "did" come in a dana 30 version. if you look you may still be able to find clutches for them. i think currie was selling them. the harder to find parts are the cross shaft which was the units weakest link. and when they go the spider gears go with it. another hard to find part. if i had one i would put it out on the Bronco forums or something for that restoration guy that just absolutely needs one.

if you are looking for a limited slip type front diff, i would try and find a detroit/eaton truetrac. they can be found cheap as many are swapped out for full lockers. that said, since you will be needing to reset gears and basically rebuilding your front axle's insides, this is the time to think if you want a full locker.
to answer your question: Yes, it will hold up to 33's just as any other. it all depends on the abuse and driving habits. in my opinion it is better than a stock carrier as the D30's weak point is ring gear deflextion and the powerlok carrier is probably stronger than a factory carrier, meaning less warping. how cheap can you pick this up for? remember that parts for it are hard to find. aftermarket solid cross shafts are available, but are expensive.

He told me he would sell it for $100. My driving is a little more methodical and slow since I'm building my rig to be a expedition rig and a daily driverso a LSD is more preferred for me. and not a gas pushing rock crawler lol I would imagine I'd see some rocks since the closest true off road place here is tsf.
So if I bought this, and was to replace the cross pin to a stronger version(looking at it, the spiders gear was fine as far as I could see and tell) would the cost of replacing/upgrading become more than finding a used true trac?

if you can find the stock cross shafts they would be cheaper. they break because they fit together in the center like a lincoln log. notched in the center of each. the aftermarket ones are a one piece section. but they are super expensive. just the aftermarket piece will cost you as much as a used true-trac. i found my used true-trac for a super great price ($75) but i have also seen folks try and get upwards of $250. so you would have to hunt around and be patient. dont get me wrong, the power-lok is not a bad unit. it is just not one of the better ones and the fact that it is obsolete makes it less worth the investment (to me).

Alright Ill be on the hunt for a true trac then. Is the Detroit and eaton the same or different? I noticed you had put a / inbetween the two words.

that is a power-lok posi track unit. the heat treated areas that look like it has been burnt from abuse are actually from the factory.
X2
Definetly a Power Loc....they were a factory option for early Broncos (pre 71) equipped with D30 front axles.
It was popular to add an extra clutch plate to "tighten" them up and give them more locker like performance.
You can still get parts for them...try: www.tomsdifferentials.com

Hi, Vic!

Hans

i am sure i can be wrong, but from what i remember, Eaton bought the detroit name or they merged, or something to that effect.

Hey Hans. hope all is going well for you out there.
glad to hear you can still get parts for those Power-locs. do you remember if the trick was to run an extra friction plate, or an extra metal plate? i sort of remember using an extra friction plate made them lock to hard and the trick was to just add an extra steel plate.

Back