• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan rubbing power steering pulley

FireghostXJ

NAXJA Forum User
About a year ago I installed new brown dog motor mounts which were in dire need as the left one was completely gone. Since this year has passed, I keep getting the sound that the left electrical fan is rubbing the power steering pulley and the evidence is clear on the fan where holes have been worn into it.

My fan is oem and I have no front end damage. Everything is in the right place. I dont here the fan while driving but only when I come to a complete stop. While at the stop, if I put it in neutral the rubbing sound goes away. I dont know what more to do than to keep it running, block the tires, put it in drive and see if my problem is really what I think it is.

This past weekend I installed a new transmission mount. It was a really easy job and only took about an hour. It would have taken less time but I took the time to clean the trans skid plate and probably scraped about a pound of oil and dirt from it. Thinking that the fan rubbing sound would go away, it still hasnt and now I have a new sound. This one sounds like its where I installed the trans mount and kind of sounds like its being stretched or like its loose but only when I am at a complete stop and then give it gas and start again.

Brown Dog has the best support around.

CALL THEM and explain what is happening, and they MOST LIKELY can get you headed in the right direction.

Back