• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hauling a motor 300 miles in the back of a jeep

sidewaysstarion

Coffee Drinker
NAXJA Member
So long story short I need to haul an XJ long block 300 miles in the back of my XJ. I know with that much weight my Jeep its going to be sitting on the bumpstops. So I was thinking about some load leveler shocks for the rear, do you think something like these would be up to the task?I like the idea of air shocks so when I take the load out of the back I can let the air out of the shocks and have my ride back.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...614&keyword=rear+shocks&pt=C0077&ppt=C0035#at

Or should I go with the coilover style load levelers.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...6_3614&keyword=rear+shocks&pt=C0077&ppt=C0035

My Jeep
99 xj
4.0/aw4/30/8.25
Sagging rear springs.

Last edited:
Fold the back seat down and get it as far forward as you can. Figure two big dudes at 250lbs each weigh around the same as a 4.0 longblock, if you get it far enough forward to be over the seat, an XJ should handle it fine stock. Any further back and some load levelers, helper shocks, or airbags will be pretty nice.

I would almost rather have the air shocks, that way you can have the desired ride that you want, along with being able to haul the engine...

Why not just rent a small trailer from Uhaul and haul it that way? Just my .02

My jeep doesn't have a tow hitch, so the cost of the hitch + wiring + the trailer rental would be more then just some air shocks. I had a 30/8.25 in the rear and I was tapping the bumpstops all the way home. So I guess I'll get some air shocks and load it as far forward as I can.

Time for leafs? lol
How much does a longblock weigh? I hauled plenty with sagging leafs, you should be fine with it the way it is.

Recently hauled an AW4, np231, 8.25, d30 with little sag!
Old Man Emu HD leafs now ftw

Honestly dont waste your money,
I Hauled around 300lbs+ on a DAILY basis of stereo equipment that was for the cars audio.
Over bigger bumps sure it bottomed out. But if you didnt hammer in your rear pinch welds,
worse that will happen is your rear sway bar will bend them up a little bit.

Besides that its just gonna be a bumpy ride!

My jeep doesn't have a tow hitch, so the cost of the hitch + wiring + the trailer rental would be more then just some air shocks. I had a 30/8.25 in the rear and I was tapping the bumpstops all the way home. So I guess I'll get some air shocks and load it as far forward as I can.

Oh. Gotcha. Guess that I got lucky, mine has the trailer hitch. I feel your pain though, my rear leafs were so bad that they were almost bending back the other way when my jeep was on the ground.
On another note, I hauled my John Deere tractor (probably around 6-700lbs) 120 miles on a trailer with those old saggy springs, and had no trouble hitting the bumpstops.

Back