• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 leak, how should I go about fixing it?

AnthonyZ28

NAXJA Forum User
It's a pretty serious leak. I have to put in about 1/2 a quart of fluid every week. It's been leaking for a while, but used to only be 4/5 drops every night. Now there's a pretty noticeable puddle underneath after being parked every night. I've got underneath and looked at it and seems to be coming from where the transmission and the transfer case connect. There may be another spot but this seems like the best possibility. All the bolts have been tightened. I can't think of anything else that can be done. If there is, please say so.

This all on a 93. The transmission was rebuilt about 14K ago.

I would attempt to fix it on my own, but with how busy I am I dont have the time. My jeep is my daily driver. A couple of weeks ago when I replaced my steering box, I was out of transportation for 3 days, which hurt. However, next week during spring break I'll be out on vacation for a week and could put it in the shop. I hate doing that but I dont have much of a choice. If I do, roughly how much would I be looking at to fix it?

There is a seal on the transmission output, and the transfer case input shaft rides on it. Sounds like that seal is shot.

The fix would be to drop the transfer case and replace the seal. No way around it, but besides removing the transfer case it's a simple enough fix.

Bolts should be tight but simply to hold the TCase to the transmission. It is supposed to let oil leak there so you know the seal has gone bad.

HTH

No idea how much, the labor is the most expensive part of it. If it's just the output seal on the AX-15 output housing, it's like a $10 seal.

It's really not that much work though. You basically need to drop the t-case, pull the old seal out from the trans output, then tap the new one in. Even if you've never done it before, shouldn't take more than a full Saturday or Sunday.

Drain t-case
Support drivetrain
Drop crossmember
Drop driveshafts
Disconnect 4WD/speed sensor plugs
Disconnect t-case shift linkage
Disconnect trans mount/exhaust hanger
Unbolt t-case and drop out
Pull out old seal
Tap in new seal (I like to put a thin film of grease on it, or pre-lube with oil)
Reassemble and don't forget to refill the t-case.

Agreed, it is not too bad, make sure you start hitting the crossmember to frame rail bolts and nuts with pb blaster twice a day NOW, they should come off nicely by the time you are ready to do the work.

Make sure you get the right seal. There's a lot of confusion among parts counter jockeys concerning which one is what and what is called what, you may accidentally end up with a transfer case seal instead of a trans seal if you don't make yourself perfectly clear and/or get a stupid parts monkey.

Make sure you have a good seal driver to push it in with, you really can't do the job right without one. Any piece of smooth edged plastic pipe or plastic pipe fitting that sits nice and square on it will do, not sure what size will work but I'm sure something in the plumbing aisle of home depot will work. For instance I use a piece of 2" PVC conduit to drive 96+ XJ np231 rear output seals, it's the perfect size.

If it's dripping gear lube from between the transmission and transfer case, I'd suspect the seal around the tcase input shaft that's installed in the transmission tailshaft housing.

Don't see why not. The AX15 I have is a '93 also.

I'll double-check tonight for measurements if you want, the transmission is still on the floor.

so you know what you should be looking for, this is the seal in question:

neoutputseal.jpg

see that little hole in the flange at the bottom? That's a weep hole that will puke fluid if the seal is bad, letting you know it needs to be changed. Auto trannies do not have weep holes, only manuals.

Jeff

most likely yes. If it's gear oil (stinky, tan/brown color) that's leaking it's tranny. The TC could be leaking (highly unlikely) but that would be trans fluid (pink/red color).

It's a pain in the ass but shouldn't take more than an hour or two in a driveway, especially since you're not in the rust belt. You'll need to drop the trans crossmember to get at it.

Stuff you'll want -
6 point, 5/16 box wrench
6 point, 5/16 1/4-drive socket and ratchet
At least one new ujoint strap kit, preferably two. Dana spicer 2-70-18x, available cheap via northerndrivetrain and other online retailers.
Preferably a 1/4-28 UNF tap and tap handle to clear the threads in the pinion yoke(s) on your diffs before reinstalling driveshafts.
Mechanics prybar
9/16 gearwrench
9/16 stubby gearwrench

You can make do without a few of these but having them will make your life a lot simpler.

The bracket on the side of the transmission for the shift linkage REALLY SUCKS - one of my least favorite things to work on on an XJ. Two of the six 9/16 nuts holding the transfer case to the transmission are behind it and hold it in place, they are a real bastard to get at especially if rusted.

I took some measurements and that seal I gave the rockauto link for is good for a '93 AX15 output. It's a $5 part I think.

Just to be thorough...

I would buy a well known seal brand name. How many times do you want to do the job?
I'm not saying that the Rock Auto part is bad. Just saying buy a quality brand.

Back