• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distributor replacement on a 400,000 mi. motor?

my2monkeys

NAXJA Member
89 4.0 Renix

My mill has 435,000 miles on it and I want to swap my dist. because of all the play in the shaft.

Problem is that the guys at Firestone didn't index the reman. dist. when they fixed my sync pulse stator in 2000.

The base of the dist. doesn't even sit flat on the block( 1/8 gap).

Besides the fact they had to move the plug wires one position clock wise to get it firing.

I didn't notice all this until a few years later.

My question is will I mess up the cam gear or dist. gear if I put a new dist. completely engaging the cam gear?

The old dist. has alot of up and down play and side to side and oil gets up inside thru the shaft under the cap.

I have a JY dist. that has no play in it for the replacement.

I don't think you got an answer to your post because it's sort of confusing.

You said: "My question is will I mess up the cam gear or dist. gear if I put a new dist. completely engaging the cam gear?"

To answer your direct question: No it won't

Remove the distributor cap and cut a "window" into the side of the distributor cap at the #1 spark plug wire post . The "window" should be large enough to allow easy visual inspection of the position of the distributor rotor at the #1 spark plug wire post. Reinstall the distributor cap.

Install a ¾" wrench or socket onto the vibration damper retaining bolt. Rotate the engine in a clockwise direction until the #1 cylinder is at top dead center. Align the timing mark on the vibration damper with the "0" degree mark on the front cover timing scale. The tip of the distributor rotor should be near the #1 spark plug wire post.

Disconnect the distributor electrical connection. Remove the distributor holddown clamp, holddown bolt and distributor. Remove the distributor cap and rotor.

Place the distributor housing upside down in a soft jaw vise. Scribe a line 1/2 inch from the end of the distributor locating tab. Cut the distributor locating tab at the scribed line with a saw.

Remove any burrs and metal filings from the distributor. Reinstall rotor.

If necessary, using a flat blade screwdriver, turn the oil pump gear drive shaft until the slot is slightly past the 11 o'clock position. The oil pump gear drive shaft is accessible through the distributor mounting bore in the engine block.

Visually align the modified locating tab area of the distributor housing with the holddown clamp bolt hole.

Turn the rotor to the 4 o'clock position.
Lower the distributor into the engine block until it seats. The rotor should now be very close to the 5 o'clock position.

Reinstall the distributor cap with the cutout "window". Rotate the distributor housing until the trailing edge of the distributor rotor tip is just departing from the #1 spark plug wire post terminal .

Reinstall the distributor holddown clamp and bolt.. Reinspect the position of the rotor to the #1 spark plug wire post to insure that it has not moved.

Install the new distributor cap, reconnect the distributor electrical connections.
Revised 07/03/2012

Yes, I did express myself poorly.

Thanks for the replies.

My concern was the dist. not being fully seated and the gear not wearing even.

But on further examination it looks like it is flat to the engine but just not indexed correctly.

It does have alot of play up and down and wiggles side to side and oil gets up in the top past the shaft seal.

So I will put the other dist. in and hopefully fix an oil leak in addition.

Maybe it might cure some of the "loping" I get at start up when idling.

Don't forget to put a new distributor mounting gasket on there.

Back