• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To convert to rear disk or not too....

dryad001

NAXJA Forum User
Im at a standstill on this one.

I figure it would take me about $180 to re-do my entire drum setup and close to $500 (local JY are a joke here) to convert to disk.

Id hate to throw down the extra money when Im about a week out to order the lift and tires. But my rear brakes are constantly locking up. PLus with the extra garbage that gets packed in them from wheeling around here.

Any thoughts?

Last zj disc set I bought was $50 complete.
Might be cheaper to have somone mail you some parts

I am very happy w my rear libby disks.

Those prices are high at that cost you would be better off getting stuff from a craigslist part out or maybe shipped online.

I couldnt find anyone locally that would let me open the diff to get the backing plates and didnt want alot for the whole axle .
So i ended up ordering them from a jy that sells parts online.

I decided i wanted new parts for the rest and got them on ebay and one from morris 4x4
Even with mostly new parts i think i was in the neighborhood of what you were finding at your jy
And would have been alot cheaper had i of got the rest used as well

Last edited:
Those prices are insane. I paid $70 for everything I needed for a ZJ conversion at my local yard.

This thread made me curious so i dug out my receipt folder to see what i spent.

It was 490 for used backing plates and new pads , calipers,rotors, brake lines, e-cables , and new seals and bearings for the axle while the shafts were out. And that was all shipped .

Seems kinda wasteful now but i had some extra $ and figured if i could get new parts they would last longer .
In the end i could have bought the axle i thought was overpriced and sold the leftovers and saved some.
Or at least got the e-cables used they were pricey

Our jyards here are lacking in anything not picked clean or broken to hell as far as the zj goes and finding a libby or an xj seems few and far between so theyre picked pretty clean.

In the end though i like my disks so much better especially when stopping down hill .

Last edited:
If you need all new drum parts and have good junkyards where you can get a disk setup for under $200 it is worth it. In any other scenario it is not worth it.

$357 and that was with new calipers, rotors, pads and an ebrake cable for the passengerside. Canadian, so at the rape me price. Still have some of the old stuff, it was serviceable, but I had the coin for new at the time.

There's a person on cherokee forum who sells almost complete swap kits

Im on 27" tires and I love the ZJ disc swap. I can't imagine anyone with larger tires w/o them.

Back