• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IRON Rock off road Almost Alloy Kit for U Joints

ruffrich26

NAXJA Forum User
So I am in desperate need of new U joints. I was searching online and Found U joints but also Found these

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=IR-S_AAK

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]In Stock - NEW LOW PRICE!!! Was $49.99, now $29.99

Front Axle Shaft Failure and how to ELIMINATE it:

1. The Problem...Four steps to axle shaft failure when equipped with the 5-760X u-joint:
  2. The axleshaft is overloaded with 33" or larger tires and lockers.
  3. The "ears" on the axle shaft flex creating an ob-round (oval) shape around the u-joint cap.
  4. The u-joint cap breaks away at the retaining clip, causing the clip to fall off.
  5. The u-joint cap works its way out of the axle shaft causing catastrophic axle shaft failure.
The Solution... Exclusively from Iron Rock Off Road...The Almost Alloy:
We Provide you with a plate to weld in over the top of each u-joint cap. This plate eliminates flex in the axle shaft "ears" around the u-joint cap. This plate positively retains the u-joint cap, meaning failure is not an option. This kit will make your axle shafts stronger than Spicer 297X and 760X u-joints. It is still possible to see an axle shaft failure, but ONLY after u-joint failure. We have had great results using this kit on our shop XJ with very heavy 35 x 13.5 Krawlers and a fairly aggressive driving style. We use OEM Dana axle shafts, Spicer 760X u-joints, and our Almost Alloy Kit and we have not been able to break an axle shaft or u-joint yet! The unbelievably low price: $29.99 gets you the full 8 piece kit to upgrade both front axle shafts. What it fits: Any vehicle with the 5-760X front axle u-joint as long as there is 1/8"+ clearance around the u-joint caps. All 95 and newer Jeep vehicles including XJ Cherokees. 1984-1994 Jeep Cherokees with upgraded front axle shafts. Most older Jeep Vehicles. All Dana 44 front axles. Most Dana 30 front axles. Most 1/2 or 3/4 ton solid front axle Chevrolet, Ford, or Dodge vehicles.

Note: We highly recommend installing a new Spicer 5-760X or stronger u-joint at the time of installation. Replacing the u-joint (if ever required) will require cutting the Almost Alloy plates off the axle shaft (not difficult using the right tool, such as an air cut-off or angle grinder with cutting disc).
Need these for your Dana 60 or other application? Send us an e-mail, if there is interest we'll design them.

[SIZE=-1]I wanted to k[SIZE=-1]now if they would wor[SIZE=-1]k for my [SIZE=-1]xj I hav[SIZE=-1]e a 2000 also are [SIZE=-1]they worth it[SIZE=-1]?[SIZE=-1] Also w[SIZE=-1]hat U joints would you re[SIZE=-1]c[SIZE=-1]ommend I'd like to get something a little[SIZE=-1] more dura[SIZE=-1]ble t[SIZE=-1]hen OEM[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Define "worth it" ?

What mods does your XJ have ? Are you breaking u-joints now ? Where, and how, do you wheel it ? Why are your Spicer u-joints not durable ? Are you buying Spicer 5-760x u-joints ?

32 inch bf Goodrich KM2's, 3 Inch rough country front coils back add a leaf lift, upgraded front tie rods with steering stabilizer, Rustys steering box stabilizer. I have not yet broken a U joint but my U joints are toast. Around by me its usually just trails mud light crawling mostly muddy trails. And I don't know if I'm buying Spicer 5-760x U-joints my second question was what kind of U joints should I get? I guess that sorta answers my question there. I wanted to know if this kit was gonna be worth the $29.99 to add some protection to the U joints so they don't wear even more with excessive off roading. The worst thing is replacing them now then again in another three months.

The almost alloy is to prevent breakage from abuse, not to prevent excessive wear. If you are running Spicer u-joints now, and not breaking them, you don't need to install this mod.

Buy Spicer u-joints.

Good Point Thank you!

The almost alloy is to prevent breakage from abuse, not to prevent excessive wear. If you are running Spicer u-joints now, and not breaking them, you don't need to install this mod.

Buy Spicer u-joints.

Washers will work just as good and will run you $1.90.

Myself, I have just ran full circle clips without issue. when my ears wallow out, I tack the caps in place (on my 44 because NOTHING will fit over the caps).

Fits all Dana 44 axles.... i doubt that

well if you want to weld them to your shafts when they are installed. and never be able to remove your shafts again without a torch lol.

There are some other "claims" of thiers that annoy me as well.

tack the caps, same thing, just easier to get off..

grind out the inside and run full circle clips.... no welding required and you can change joints without any extra work

Back