• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydro Assist

Boss Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for any Hydro Assist suggestions. Open to all comments since we all know that everyone here is very opinionated!! I look forward to hearing discussion as well as rebutals!

All i know is that I need to add that to the long list of things i need to have done to the jeep

This is a pretty nice write up, and the same way I am building my set up. The only thing I wasn't aware of is the ability to increase flow from the stock pump, I think I'm going to give that a shot.

Yeah, totally worth a shot. I need to pull my box and tap it.

Yeah I've already checked out Jeep forum Pirate ect.ect... They all have awesome info on where to get the rams or kits. There is one complete for a little over $800.00. Unfortunetly I enjoy and prefer to build my own so I will get a ram from Surplus Center for starters. I already have a spare steering box off my V8 XJ which I will drill and tap. I found a local rebuilder this past weekend that I will send the spare box to. If it all works out I plan on building another to sell when I pull my box out to swap in the rebuilt one. I figure I can sell the spare with hoses ram fittings and tabs for under $500.00 exchange.

So what commentary are you looking for? I have my jeep set up for assist, I just need to make the hoses the right length and mount the ram.

What axle/steering setup are you using?

Dana 44 outters 9" center. I found my old steering box off my V8 85 XJ. I kept it as a core when the 85's took a crap on me. I decided to drill it and tap it and it worked out. My next step is to get it rebuilt by a guy I know which will do it for $120.00. I think it's a good price considering the kits run about $70.00. He'll replace worn or corroded parts as well as hot tank and paint the box (it's been sitting around since 1999ish. I don't want to deal with missing ball bearings ect.. My concern is I do not want to have it rebuilt if it's the wrong: A) ratio B) pressure C) any thing else?

Good luck on the rebuild. I have done well over 100 boxes and I am getting out of it now. Besides working 1000 miles from home/shop, the only supplier I have found for the pitman arm seals used by all the rebuild kits seems to have changed something. I started getting about half the boxes leaking. It appears that AZ is using the same seals. I have a friend that works at AZ and he said that all their boxes are coming back for leaking pitman shafts now. If anybody finds a good supplier, PLEASE let me know.

My question was in regards to if it is the same internally including ratio. I'm sorry your having parts supply issues but that's the reason I am going to use a local rebuilder, precisely for that reason. No shipping or telephone/e-mail communications needed! My question still stands, i will assume that the 85 box is identical.

The 85 box is definately superior. It uses a different seal setup and I have seen no problems with leaking on those boxes.

I'm considering this option...

http://www.offroadsc.com/showthread.php?835-185-hydro-assist-thread-%28revisited%29

I already have a PSC pump and Box so i'm not sure how well this will work on stock stuff.

Lol. I'm surprised you found that.

I know the crazy guy that wrote that up.

In fact, that's how I did my assist.

I love everything about it except one thing... the ram. The 'ball' in the socket on the ram has so much play in it that you can hear it right when you change direction with the steering wheel. It's not so much that it's annoying but I'm aware that it does it. If you had the cash to spare I'd go with a nicer ram.

At the same time, I've not had one single issue out of it.

Also, if you drive your vehicle on the road I suggest that you DO NOT drill out the valve in the stock pump any larger than it is. It will make your steering extremely sensitive. So much so that I didn't feel comfortable driving it. I put a stock valve back in it.

(The leaking fluid in the picture is coolant from the water pump that gave up on the trail)
2012-01-31_17-09-54_413.jpg

The 85 box is definately superior. It uses a different seal setup and I have seen no problems with leaking on those boxes.

Thank you that is definitely a plus so I will attempt to continue the project on your appreciated comment! Oh while I'm at it are heims legal for drag links and tie rods?

Last edited:
Yes, heims are legal. Some will say no, but cannot cite vehicle code to back that up. Most full size street sweepers, obviously street legal, run fully hydraulic steering and heims.

Back