• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel line size at rail disconnect

faering

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,
I'm attempting to replace the short run of plastic fuel line that goes from the rail to the metal fuel line tubing. This is only about 8" or so. The problem is the new line I bought (5/16) won't fit back onto the quick disconnect or the metal fuel line. I've tried boiling it for 15 minutes, all the tricks. It won't even begin to go on. My question is: can I use the 3/8" tubing that came in the kit instead? It is a very tight fit, but at least I can get it on. I can then use some fuel line clamps, maybe? Any thoughts? Thanks

Go AN. Bulletproof in the long run.

What year? Some year xj fuel rails(91-?) are very easy to convert using 'tubing adapters' and AN plumbing. Same with the hardline @ the uniframe rail.

2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0 I6. The "kit" consists of 2 fuel lines (plastic) 5/16" and 3/8" with a quick disconnect attached to each. There is no way that 5/16" is going on.

A bit of background...the original fuel line attached to the quick disconnect metal coupler and to the metal fuel tubing about 8" down stream was cracked, so I cut it off. I needed to connect new plastic fuel line to the disconnect at the fuel rail, and to the metal fuel line that comes from the tank. The 5/16" plastic line in the kits won't go on under any circumstances I can think of (I bought a kit from AZ and one from NAPA). Neither worked in 5/16" but the 3/8" did go on to both connections. It was a very tight fit, but it went on. I then put clamps at both ends.

Back