• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas gauge not working.. Help

mudslutnc

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a xj my first one lol... The gas gauge reads empty all the time and the light stays on.. Where do I start?? Its a 96 xj with the 4.0 inline 6.. any and all help would be appreciated.. Thanks in advance for helping a new jeep owner!:doh:

Haha I was just about to post the same thing, I have a similar problem with my 1989 Laredo XJ, all my other gauges work perfectly but the needle on my gas gauge reads past full at all times. and does not move back regardless if the key is on or off.

Alright I'll check that! Thanks for the response... is the fuel pump on the inside or the outside of the tank on the 96!

I Guess let me rephrase that. It rotted out right where is exited the top of the tank where the fuel pump and sender wiring goes into the tank. It's all part of the fuel pump assembly.

I'm interested in whatever answers you get. I just got a 2000 XJ a few weeks ago. When I started it after lunch on Friday the gauge showed empty and the warning light came on, though it had worked before lunch and I had 3/4 tank of gas. I turned the engine off and restarted, and the gauge was working again. It's done that twice since Friday.

Back