• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj dana 30 lp to hp swap

Leonidas

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys,

my front axle is howling due to a pinion bearing going. I drive a 2000 jeep xj. 3.55 gear ratio
Here's my question,
I can buy a dana 30 from a 99 xj, same gear ratio but its a hp. I don't have a lift currently. Since my xj is pretty much stock, is my driveshaft going to be a problem? or this a straight swap?

Re: 2000 xj dana 30 hp to lp swap

Stock height the driveshaft is going to come really close to the exhaust. I wouldn't do it.

I swapped my LP for a HP, it's a 2000, but I have 4.5" lift. My LP D30 is still in pretty good shape.

PM me if interested, I could help you do the swap also if necessary. The thing is heavy.

But first maybe make sure it's really the axle. Not sure how to go about that, maybe pulling the front driveshaft for a start?

My LP30 has about 180k on it. While I am going to upgrade to a HP front, I will keep this one as a spare so that I can get the most out of wheeling it, with the better strength. I have a '94 I could steal it out of, but I am not wanting to part/mess with two on jackstands at the same time. One became available locally without the shafts, which should be great, because now I can put a lunchbox in it, and upgrade the shafts and joints and such. On yours it should be a straight forward swap, but I don't know if they actually did any movement of the exhaust to clear the driveshaft, but I can take some pictures to do some comparison to see just how much clearance there is or is not in relation to the different years.

Jeff

Back