• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible blown head gasket?

Gnarlyrider27

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so my 92 xj with the 4.0 is still leaking little bit of oil but not bad. My dads 96 Bronco leaks more then the jeep but Went out of town over the weekend and came back and checked the oil and noticed some white milky stuff at the end of the dip stick. My first thought was a possible blown head gasket. There are no signs of one but I also did a compression check and this is what I got. #1 is 120, #2 is 130, #3 is 135, #4 is 115, #5 is 130 and #6 is 130. I also just had the oil pan off last week and the oil inside was clean. I haven't gone through any mud puddles or haven't driven in the rain or anything and no oil in the coolant and I haven't lost any coolant. Haven't over heated it or anything so I am not to sure whats going on and don't want to risk messing it up. Since I did the oil pan I drove it about 2 hours total and about 60 miles.

Dip stick can sometimes pick up a little water condensation junk from the upper tube. If you can not find water, coolant or a white emulsion repeatedly on the lower stick or in the oil pan, you are probably OK. Just keep a closer eye on it. I usually wipe the dip stick off and check my oil 3-4 times, to make sure I got a correct sample!!!

Well I checked it like 5 times today and every time had white emulsion it on it and always the same amount each time. But ya I will keep a close eye on it and everything

Check the valve cover cap, flash light inside the valve cover see what it looks like too.

Well I checked it like 5 times today and every time had white emulsion it on it and always the same amount each time. But ya I will keep a close eye on it and everything

Water sinks, and does not float on oil, so I would worry about water at the bottom of the dip stick, but not above the oil line.

If you drained the oil pan completely, and found no water, you should be OK, just condensation in the dip stick tube.

Odds are you have condensation in your crankcase.

NORMAL, but you may not be driving enough to warm the engine up to full operating temperature so that the oil can "cook off" the moisture--typical during winter months with lots of cold starts, short trips.

Also, service the CCV system.

Odds are you have condensation in your crankcase.

NORMAL, but you may not be driving enough to warm the engine up to full operating temperature so that the oil can "cook off" the moisture--typical during winter months with lots of cold starts, short trips.

Also, service the CCV system.

.... and make sure you have a functional thermostat in it. It can take forever to reach full operating temp if the therm. is stuck open... or not there.

Back