• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear pinion angle and level of fluid reaching pinion bearing

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have an issue with rear pinion angle being just high enough to not allow high enough level of diff. fluid to lubricate pinion bearing properly? If so, how did you fix it?

I simply drilled and tapped a fill plug in the top of the diff cover and over filled the diff with extra fluid but eventually it will most likely work its way out the axle tube ends since the ends have dust shields, not proper seals.

Many aftermarket diff covers have a fill plug slightly higher than stock. If you are over-filling and the oil is blowing out the vent tube, or past the outer seals, you are over-filling way too much.

If you look inside the diff. Housing there is a passage over the top of the pinion. As you are driving your ring gear throws oil up that passage. The oil slinger keeps both pinion bearings bathed in oil by slowing the oil returning back down the diff.

Many aftermarket diff covers have a fill plug slightly higher than stock. If you are over-filling and the oil is blowing out the vent tube, or past the outer seals, you are over-filling way too much.

Yeah, I know but I wanted to make sure it was filled as much as possible to ensure proper oil level. The oil slinger apparently didn't do its job the first time or the level of oil wasn't high enough for the slinger to throw enough oil onto the bearing. I have over filled it and some of the oil has blown out the oil vent but since then stopped so I am assuming it has finally reached its equilibrium. I just hope the slinger can do its job now and I don't have a fail againl

As indicated in the thread, some diff covers allow you some flexibility. Take a look at the one I have on my D44 rear.

177533d1361899675-98-xj-limited-search-rescue-build-imag0143.jpg

My mechanic seems to say that you should fill to the recommended level and not more than that...

As indicated in the thread, some diff covers allow you some flexibility. Take a look at the one I have on my D44 rear.

177533d1361899675-98-xj-limited-search-rescue-build-imag0143.jpg

My mechanic seems to say that you should fill to the recommended level and not more than that...

Huh, the guys who rebuilt my front axle (do nothing but build custom axles for mud bogging and sand drags) told me to fill it up as much as possible

Back