• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't come out of park??

kmanxj5050

NAXJA Forum User
I took my XJ around the block for the first time in roughly a month last night to make sure all was good before Winterfest, and everything worked fine. Went right into gear etc.

This morning I was going to drive it to work, I went out and started it, came back out 10 minutes later to leave and it wouldn't come out of park. I couldn't get the button to depress, I had a good brake pedal but looked behind me and no brake lights?

Any ideas? Thank you

I'll be at work in a bit, & can check Identafix. but sounds like a brake interlock switch issue. I don't have your phone # & can't post here from work.

x2 on the brake interlock. theres a cable that runs to the shifter that when the brake pedal is depressed, it allows the shifter to move. probably came off the mounting stud on the shifter base, ive had it happen on my 99 once or twice. ive removed my shifter a couple of times and I think the mount has worn/loosened up a little bit allowing it to happen.

I let the thing warm up for a few more minutes earlier and got under there and jiggled the linkages and it went right in.

Maybe I should store it in my garage instead of the snow bank.

I experienced the problem because the switch on the brake pedal is located so close to your feet. I would often bump it loose or knock it off completely without knowing. A new end connector corrected the problem.

Since it does have to be energized to work, you can bypass it with the truck off. Just turn the key to ACC, put the Jeep in neutral, and then crank it. It's a work-around until you can make the correct repair.

One more advantage of old jeeps!!! None of that interlock junk to fight with on my 85 standard. As long as the clutch works, I am good to go, other wise I need to drive it Flintstone style, LOL.

Last edited:
Back