• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil Cap connection issues

Aggie2012

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I recently bought my first XJ. It is a 2001 cherokee sport with the 4.0L. I changed the spark plugs on it and I can't seem to get the cap to connect correctly and now it will not start. It turns over but will not run. I used champion stock replacement plugs so I don't think the gap is the issue. I have read some walkthroughs on this process and I can't seem to hear a "snap" or "clicking" when I reinstall the cap, like they say I should. I hope to get this think running again. Let me know if you need more vehicle info. Thanks in advance.

I never really hear or feel anything when re-installing the coil rail onto the spark plugs. If you have a bunched up spark plug boot, you will either hear the snapping or you will have a misfire.

Ponder for a minute that the no-start is either related to the most recent maintenance/repairs, or that it may be unrelated. Go back over you work and check for mistakes or broken/damaged parts/wire plugs. Then, test the CranKshaft Position Sensor (CPS).

standard.jpg

standard.jpg
CPS Testing

TESTING PROCEDURE 1991 – 2001 4.0L H.O. engines
1. Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
2. Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (See Image). Ohmmeter should be set to the 10K-or-2OK scale for this test.
3. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

The 2000 and 2001 will have the CPS in the same location on the bell housing, but the wire connector is on the passenger side, near or
on top of the Transfer case, not as shown in the diagram below. Simply follow the wire from the sensor to the connector.
standard.jpg

I would never have thought to check for a sensor. It was running fin until I changed the plugs. I will try this out this weekend and hopefully it helps. Thank you very much for the help!

Back