• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Light After Superchips Tune

sixty7ss

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a Superchips Flashpaq and programmed my Jeep to the 87 octane tune. Ever since, I can't get rid of the engine light. I tried reverting back to the stock tune. Still there. Updated the tuner on the web and re-tuned. Still there. Tried the diagnostics on the programmer to see what it was. Says there nothing there. :dunno:

Anyone else had this problem?

when you say you "tried the diagnostics on the programmer," do you mean you tried to read the code? my first thought was that the programer and your check engine light COULD be unrelated, simply coincidence... but if youve already done so... id be at a loss as well.

did you try clearing it and seeing if it comes back on? any noticable change in the way it runs?

That is what I mean. I tried reading the code, but it came back saying there was no code. That being the case, I couldn't clear it with the tuner. So, I did the "turn the key on and off 3 times" thing to clear the engine light. It came back within 10 seconds, tho. I'm gonna have a friend of mine use his $25,000 reader to tell me what's going on. Hopefully it's something Superchips can fix because I can't even go back to my stock tune without an engine light. Very frustrating.

YOu tried disco/reconnect your battery to "clear" the code?

The light went off after driving for half a day. Weird that it would do that. I'm tuning it for 91 octane today, so we'll see if it does it again.

If you're reading this because your XJ is doing the same thing and the light does not turn off on its own, here is the response I got from Superchips.
Normally, we do not have an issue of lights coming on just from tuning. However, once in a blue moon, we have a vehicle that has a very sensitive body control module and it tends to over react. In most cases, this can be solved by making sure that the vehicle is tuned back to stock and then disconnecting the positive battery terminal. While the + terminal is unhooked, turn everything in the vehicle on, ignition, lights, and stand on the brake pedal. This will drain all extra voltage from the vehicle computer and once power is restored, it will have reset. Afterward, start the vehicle as normal and make sure the light has not come back on. Occasionally, the light will come on, but after a short drive and re-learn session, the light turns off after the vehicle realizes that nothing is wrong.

Back