• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

body parts compatibility

muttlee700

NAXJA Forum User
I was planning on making my first post here much more positive but anyway...
I recently picked up an 89 cherokee laredo which is amazingly rust free. Then promptly killed a deer with it. LOL
So now I need to pull dents out of both passenger side doors and replace a grill and passenger side fender. My question is how compatible body panels from other years of cherokees are. I found a 96 at the local pull a part but would hate to travel all the way there just to discover the new fender doesn't bolt up right. So if anybody could tell me how late a year of cherokee I can use parts from I would greatly appreciate it. Also any pointers, pictures or instructions I can get on pulling a fender on a jeep would be great too. I have yet to try replacing any body parts on a cherokee so I need all the help I can get.
Thanks!
Also, my jeep knocked off one of the buck's antlers so I kept it as a souvenir. I want to make something out of it for the jeep. Any ideas what I could do with it? I was thinking a new t handle for the shifter but i'm not sure if it would work. Coolest idea gets to be part of the rig :)

Oh deer!

96 shit will bolt right up to the 89

Some of it will. The front fiberglass nose and head light parts, and grill are a little different.

84-90 body parts to my knowledge are the same. Fenders up to 95 or 96? are the same

"Any ideas what I could do with it?"

Well.., do 'ya remember that almost every vehicle on the planet had a hood ornament? Seems you have one available to you now!

BTW: I encountered a young bull moose with a KIA, (Korean built vehicle, i.e., almost Killed In Action), during a blizzard, at night. Lucky how the impact did no damage, as speed was about 5mph on ice at time of impact, and hit him from the rear, so he sat on hood momentarily, slid up the windshield, on top of roof, and then off of the back end. Not even a stratch. Whew! However, since we encounter many moose, I decided to obtain a fairly strong, (not necessarilly the best), ARB Bull Bar Bumper. It is actually designed for kangaroos, me thinks, but could be just right for dealing with the deer. I figure it is better to have some extra protection up front in order to save the radiator, and perhaps a head light or two in the event of a 'hit'.

As long as you transfer the trim around the lights and the grille and such, the whole nose piece off a 96 will fit an 80s XJ no problem. I don't know how well the trim fits otherwise.

Fenders are the same. So's the hood AFAIK, and the bumper.

Thanks, I'm probably gonna replace the fiberglass nose if I can find everything for it since mine is cracked a little and the right marker lens is shattered

Back