• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The valve cover gasket that won't

travisk

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up 98 XJ with a freshly rebuilt motor last month, but the valve cover leaked pretty good at the very back.

Replaced it with a new Felpro. Still leaking.

Noticed that there was a *slight* bend to the mating side of the valve cover right where it was leaking. Replaced it with another valve cover from the junk yard (same gasket). Torqued it very lightly.

It's still leaking from the same spot in the back of the engine. What's next? I don't like buying these $35 gaskets only to have them leak again.

The way I'd do it is to clean both surfaces thoroughly. Putty knife and scotchbrite if needed. Then clean valve cover with brake cleaner spray. Glue gasket to the valve cover with adhesive. Let dry. Put a light coating of grease on gasket and lightly torque into place.

I don't use gaskets. I use a bead of "the right stuff" let it sit for a few minutes, then assemble. Only finger tight for the first 6 hours, then only a maybe 6 ft lbs. Never had one leak.

I picked up 98 XJ with a freshly rebuilt motor last month, but the valve cover leaked pretty good at the very back.

Replaced it with a new Felpro. Still leaking.

Noticed that there was a *slight* bend to the mating side of the valve cover right where it was leaking. Replaced it with another valve cover from the junk yard (same gasket). Torqued it very lightly.

It's still leaking from the same spot in the back of the engine. What's next? I don't like buying these $35 gaskets only to have them leak again.

I found that the cause of my '99 VC leaking, with new Felpro gasket, was the rearmost VC attach screw holes in the head are blind holes and limit the the travel the attach screws can enter them. I had to clean out these holes using Qtips and brake cleaner. The threaded portion of all the attach screws are about 3/4" long which is a bit too long for these blind holes. I bought 1/4-20, 1/2" long, flange head screws from the hardware and used them in these blind holes. Torqued all screws down to 85 in/lbs. Fixed the leak.

The Felpro rubber gasket should go on dry as it's billed as being re-usable. Another gasket (buying another Felpro rubber gasket) should not be necessary.

Are there supposed to be grommets on 98 VC...and do you have them?
Are you absolutely sure you're not kinking it or bending it when you install it and all the bolts are tightened correctly? In sequence? The rear most bolt is good?

My Renix's have NO grommets...my Felpro rubber gasket is tighter than a frogss a$$. My engine is dry as a bone. No leaks

Are there supposed to be grommets on 98 VC...and do you have them?
Are you absolutely sure you're not kinking it or bending it when you install it and all the bolts are tightened correctly? In sequence? The rear most bolt is good?

I have the rubber grommets and the little metal shields that go into them. I replaced the old rubber grommets with new ones that came with the gasket on the second try.

When I set the gasket in place on top of the two rods at each end, the gasket almost seemed slightly too long. The gasket arched in the middle. I assumed that it would settle properly when I dropped the valve cover on and tightened it from the center out. It looks like it did both times, but maybe not?

I have the rubber grommets and the little metal shields that go into them. I replaced the old rubber grommets with new ones that came with the gasket on the second try.

When I set the gasket in place on top of the two rods at each end, the gasket almost seemed slightly too long. The gasket arched in the middle. I assumed that it would settle properly when I dropped the valve cover on and tightened it from the center out. It looks like it did both times, but maybe not?

It was on upside down.

Back