• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Hood release cable

Where did the cable break, Inside the cabin or out farther ? Some have pulled the headlight assm and pulled the connecting wire over from there to unlatch.Drivers side headlight IIRC.

I've used a Dremmel with a cut off wheel and gently cut the outer sheathing off to get access to the wire. I then clamped vise grips and pulled. Can't always do it if the wire breaks off more toward the engine compartment.

My buddy had one break on his 96. He did the same thing, although I think he used a small tubing cutter to get the sheath off, then Vice-grips to pull the cable and pop the hood.

I've also read you can pull the headlight bezel/housing/bucket and either unbolt the catch, or pull the rod, but I've never tried that.

You can also unbolt an assembly from underneath the front end with a long ratchet extension.

Ryan, i have the cable from my 94 hanging in garage your welcome to.. could drop in mail tomorrow if it helps ya out.

Thanks man. Im not going to worry about it. I thought I was just going to fix a cracked head and flip this sucker but upon removing the grill I found that this jeep has been wrecked very hard and all they did was fix the exterior parts and not the frame damage. It has now become a jeep that I will just part out.

I think you can remove the entire fiberglass nose piece behind the head lights/bezel in about 10 minutes and get access to the front 2" of the bottom side of the hood? That should be enough to reach what you need?

You don't need to remove the fibreglass header.

About a minute with the search yields: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75985&highlight=hood+release

Okay, so you'll have to remove the headlight for the horizontal bolt. I got the vertical bolts out with a long ratchet extension from below.

Nice photos of the target in that thread!!! Still it might be faster to go after the 4 bolts that hold the fiberglass nose piece on, with out pulling the 8 bolts that hold the head lights on and the spring and stuff on the head light backing?

That didn't work. I took out the headlight housing and you still can't get up there. Looks like I'm cutting the cable behind under the dash.

There are only 4 bolts holding the entire fiberglass nose piece to the fenders, then disconnect the lights-harness connectors.

The nose piece is also held to the radiator support. I can't get to those.

Yes, good point, I forgot those, should have known that would be too easy, LOL. That reminds me I still need to reinstall those and the angle bracket on my 89 before the drive test and inspection.

Hole saw the fiberglass in the sweet spot for access?

I dread the day I loose mine on my 85. The outer cable jacket is toast on my 85.

Back