• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4:1 questions and gears

CoryMJ89

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm think about gear in my truck since I'm going to 37s from my 35s and debating on either 4.56 or 4.88 so what ur thought also

I been reading up on dual 4:1 etc I can't afford the atlas tcase so that out of the question but I've been reading up on the Tera flex 4:1 and been seeing that it's noisy in 3-4th gear but I haven't seen if that's only in 4low or all 4hi and 2hi and do they break?

skip the teraflex conversion and just get a 241or from a rubicon. you can find the cases for the same or less then the kit and you wont have to fool around with tearing it apart. plus, you wont gave to worry about the nosie and speed issues with the teraflex setup. as for the gears, get whatever is the deepest available for the axles you have. im running 5.38's with my 37's.

youd be far better off on and offroad with deeper gears in the axles and stock ratio in the 231 than you would be trying to make up the difference offroad with a 4:1 it.

curious... what axles are you planning to run with 37s?

From what I've experienced dual cases in general are noisy at high speeds. I've been only been in 1 jeep with a doubler setup and it for sure had some extra racket.
I also owned a Toyota with a double marlin crawler setup...the final crawl ratio in it was like 240:1 and that thing made some racket going down the highway.

I agree..find a 4:1 case out of a rubi. I've have heard a few negative reviews on the teraflex setup

So I'm think about gear in my truck since I'm going to 37s from my 35s and debating on either 4.56 or 4.88 so what ur thought also

I been reading up on dual 4:1 etc I can't afford the atlas tcase so that out of the question but I've been reading up on the Tera flex 4:1 and been seeing that it's noisy in 3-4th gear but I haven't seen if that's only in 4low or all 4hi and 2hi and do they break?

Save up your money and buy an atlas. You will not be dissapointed. The tera flex is junk I broke mine in 30 miles off road very noisy and seriously not made for more than 3mph. In low.

Actually the atlas isnt as expensive as everyone thinks, compared to a doubler set up and to the teraflex, plus front digs and bullet proof.

Save up your money and buy an atlas. You will not be dissapointed. The tera flex is junk I broke mine in 30 miles off road very noisy and seriously not made for more than 3mph. In low.

Actually the atlas isnt as expensive as everyone thinks, compared to a doubler set up and to the teraflex, plus front digs and bullet proof.
when i ordered mune with 1310 cv yokes 3 years ago it was around $2500, for many a 241OR is alot cheaper/better for there rigs

It's not a matter of RPM's on the freeway, it's a matter of having enough power with the 37's. Most people here agree that 4.88's are good with 33's, you can search and find plenty of threads with that discussion. There's no way 4.88's are too deep for 37's, in fact you'd wish you had 5.13's or 5.38's (if you could get them).

The very best option for your t-case is finding a used 241, which has 4 to1, bigger planetaries, and a fixed yoke. Getting a new one, like from JB Conversions, is way too expensive and you might as well buy an Atlas. A 2 speed Atlas isn't all that expensive if you compare it to the other options.

Richard G

i have 37's, 5.38's, and a 241or 4:1. it isnt bad on the highway, and i wouldnt want any higher gearing offroad. If anything, i wish i had 5:1. I got my 241 pretty cheap, but if i were to pay full price, i would consider the atlas 2 or 3 speed first, although the 241 seems like a beast. i am happy with it so far.

I'm currently running 4.30s with my 37s, and will be going deeper once I break something.

Personally I'm leaning towards 4.88s, but my concern is pinion strength with 5.13s & 5.38s for low pinion D44s.

Lp wouldn't be so good in my opinion bc of driveline angle unless u cut the nuckles off and and angle it to right angle and re weld knuckles back on

when i ordered mune with 1310 cv yokes 3 years ago it was around $2500, for many a 241OR is alot cheaper/better for there rigs

I just bought a 4speed atlas for really close to your figure and saved money on drive lines. so for me it was a win win. The couple things that are to me a negative about the 241 still has a chain. No two low(unless you go aftermarket Add 250$) and no front digs. And your only 4.1.

Back