• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sizing up what I need for a build

kwikshift

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, former YJ owner who has been without a jeep for a couple years and I am looking to buy an XJ this week. I will be looking over the Jeep tomorrow and if all checks out I will probably take it home.

2001 I6 Manual. Currently very stock.

I know I want to get it up in the air a little, but this will not be a hardcore wheeler, although it will see occasional trail time. It will likely see a lot of on road time as well, will need to retain good on road handling, highway driving and hopefully be capable of some light towing. It's not going to be a heavy tow rig by any stretch, but I would like to be able to pull a small or medium trailer without any problems. It will also be a general utility vehicle, maybe haul around some tools and construction materials, basically would like it to be a really solid jack of all trades truck.

My thoughts were I would like to get a set of 31s under there but I know for my past YJ builds there is always more to consider than just find the cheapest lift. From what I have read I will need at least a 3" lift to fit 31s, I will also need a SYE and probably have to pay attention to the steering.

I would like some feedback on if it's realistic to reach these goals with this rig, and what I will need to get a complete lift together and address all the issues that will result from the lift and bigger tires. Not immediately considering anything in axle upgrades or lockers not sure what will happen down the road.

I appreciate any input guys, thank you.

You will want to regear if you tow regularly.
I pull a 15' travel trailer with mine, minimal issues, just take it slow.

was 4.5-5.5", 33's and 4.10s
Just went to 5.13's and 33's, will report back after this weekend

I understand you want to go with 31's, but I would still consider looking for a set of 3.55's out of an auto rig

Back