• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 kickdown cable install question

jester1614

NAXJA Forum User
I have done some searching and cant find the answer to this.

I am putting a 94 motor in an 89 xj and i need to swap kickdown cables, what all is involved in replacing them?

I would think if you use the '89 intake and throttle body, you can keep the '89 cable. I'm not sure how much different the '94 would be from the '89 though.

I am using the 94 intake. is there a write up on changing it?

also i have a loose vacuum line that i dont know where it goes in this pic it is in front of my thumb attached to the firewall, connected to a metal hard line (below the map sensor and to the right)

the hose is about 2 feet long and the only open connection i have is the charcoal canister.

is that where this goes?

IMAG0054_zps67e08aa9.jpg

To change the cable, you have to unbolt the dipstick, pull the pan off the trans, I THINK remove the transmission filter (I can't remember, you may not need to pull the filter, I just went ahead and replaced it while I was there). The cable is held in with a small bolt on the driver's side, I think it's a 10mm but it may have been 11 or 12. Unbolt it, then use a pair of needlenose pliers to carefully pull the barrel end out of the connector (inside the trans), you'll have to rotate it and do all kinds of finger acrobatics to get the old one out and the new one in.

Routing the new one above the trans and into the engine bay is a royal PITA too. This whole job took me about 2 hours of cussing and wiping dirt out of my eyes while laying under the rig.

:anon:

So, just an aside...or hijack...

Is the difference between a 94 cable and an 88 cable the reason that my 88 MJ with a 94 AW4 and an 88 intake won't "kick down".

TPS checks out, adjusted just right...still no passing gear.

I got the old one out and went to put the new (owner got it from a jeep wrecking yard) one in, and its wrong............ yay and the accelerator cable he got from the same place is broken on the end that clips into the pedal................. at least the upper airbox and tranny mount are right.

:anon:

So, just an aside...or hijack...

Is the difference between a 94 cable and an 88 cable the reason that my 88 MJ with a 94 AW4 and an 88 intake won't "kick down".

TPS checks out, adjusted just right...still no passing gear.

TPS controls kickdown. TV cable controls pressure internally for the shift.

Back