• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I rebuild my front driveline or is it cheaper to replace it?

MaxxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so here's the deal, I was out at the beach having fun, played all weekend, came home yesterday. On the way home I thought I heard something and Today I take off and hear a nasty grind/vibration at idle speeds but gets less noticeable at driving speeds. Anyway I opened my diff housing, looked it over, gears looked good, I remove the driveline and problem vanished I would like to rebuild mine but with the double cardian I'm not sure if those have rebuild kits too or if its even necessary... I know I can pick up the 3 joints for about $40, but what else is involved with the rebuild? My slip home feels like it has a little side to side play also.

I have an 89 on 4" lift 33x10.50 tires locker rear open front stock 3.55 gears no t case drop.

the CV's can be rebuilt. there is a centering ball inside that you should replace as well.

get a serviceable one. the OEM ones are not greasable.

as far as the slip/spline goes. that can manifest as a slight vibration if it gets bad enough, and I have seen one that the splines wore out enough to strip under load, but I don't think its very common.

I get them for like 40$ for the entire DS at PNP. I paid like 65$ for a new CV joint when I rebuilt my rear, plus joints. Id say get a good looking junkyard unit for cheap, and carry this one for a trail spare. 2 birds with one stone.

replacing the centering ball alone if $50. and spicer suggests rebalancing after you replace it and any new Ujoints. JYs here charge about $75 for a new shaft. find something with low miles. i personally wouldnt throw money into a shaft if you suspect that the slip shaft is bad. pick up a new shaft, keep your old one as a trail spare.

Tom woods shaft is In the $250 area for a complete new one, 299 for a shaft with a longer slip shaft. Guess Ill be going to the JY this weekend. Hope that 99 i pulled the axle shafts from last Friday still has its front driveline :)

And if I keep my old one it will still have to be Rebuilt... All 3 yokes were dry

still could be used as a trail spare though.

Just swapped in my buddies spare front shaft and all is good in the vibration/ grinding department. Now ill go to the JY tomorrow and see about a better driveline and just junk this one. Thanks for the info guys. :thumbup:

A caveat: the driveshaft is what you need. It is a component of the overall drivetrain or driveline. If you go shopping for a driveshaft, you'll find prices starting around $30. If you're hunting a new driveline, you're looking hundreds if not thousands.

Driveline
drivetrain.jpg

Driveshafts
driveshafts.jpg

Last edited:
Back