• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering..what are you running?

Jk2xj1

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I am looking for suggestions and examples once again on another project. After this last trip out in the rocks, it is really apparent to me I am in need of a steering upgrade or two. First off I am still on a D30 front (with MM lockouts installed and a lunchbox locker) and the factory rear 8.25. I have a 33X10.50 tire and just the upgraded ZJ tie rod, all the ends are new;but thats the extent of my steering and front axle. The old worn factory steering pump is moaning its but off in the rocks, not to mention its a chore to steer bound up or not. On road in 2wd its got the usual play that a Cherokee with 240k+ on the clock would have. I would like to do some sort of upgrade to the set up. I am thinking some sort of box/pump/cooler set up and maybe even a OTK eventually and beef the track bar and mount. I am looking to swap to a 44 front 9" rear soon-ish and 35s or 37s and keep a low COG.

So I'll ask..what are you guys with the mild-ish rigs running? I still drive this thing on the street so I'd like to keep away from full hydro, lol.

xjrocks1_zpsfb0df79f.jpg

After messing with, and being very disappointed, with several rebuilt boxes and pumps, I saved my money and got a PSC pump and a new PSC big-bore box and have not looked back.
Best thing I have done for the steering.... period.
Quality parts that last cost real money.

Durango box is a good upgrade and the WJ pump is what most use. A buddy of mine hasn't had the best of luck with psc on his CJ/crawler, so I deff wont be going that route when the time comes.

I'll do some research on the WJ pump mod. I'd read some stuff on the Durango box. Maybe I can find everything I need at a local Pull-A-Part, assuming that conversion will suit my needs. I too have seen a PSC pump take a puke on the trails, but in its defense the Jeep was being beat on pretty bad with bound up steering. Thanks for the suggestions...keep em coming!

EDIT* My XJ is a 93, will that WJ pump swap work on those year models? I think that the older pumps mounted slightly different than the later ones.

Last edited:
After messing with, and being very disappointed, with several rebuilt boxes and pumps, I saved my money and got a PSC pump and a new PSC big-bore box and have not looked back.
Best thing I have done for the steering.... period.
Quality parts that last cost real money.

this.

The parts you'll be happy with, and the performance that you'll be happy with, are totally dependent upon your expectations. Personally, I've spent a lot of money over my various builds on high end steering components and I have always been happy with the result. I have used mostly Lee Manufacturing parts, and some PSC parts. I have friends who have received parts from both places that needed to be returned, but there was never a question or a problem taking care of it. Unfortunately, the price of quality performance rebuilt Saginaw steering boxes has gone way up in the last year, but you still get what you pay for.

I would also call and talk to someone at one of the good steering places before you decide. The problem with the internet is that you virtually never get anyone who will admit that they used a part or did a modification and it sucked. You also don't know the level of someone's experience or expectations. So, someone could be totally happy with a modification or part that I would be totally unhappy with, based on different expectations.

If you're going to put in a D44, get a steering assist kit from a quality vendor, with all new components including steering gear, pump, smaller pulley, reservoir, ram and hoses, and cooler.

Richard G

Goatman-I was thinking of doing just what you mentioned. I would like to replace the box, hoses, pump, pulley etc. All of my stuff is very old and worn, its just that at this point I want something I can still use on road. I have already started looking at PSC stuff and trying to see what all I would need. On the other hand I already have a lead on a WJ pump with low miles, with virtually little cost involved. Decisions, decisions...

Driving on road is not an issue, good steering works the same on road or off road. WJ, Durango, XJ, ZJ, whatever. There are a couple variations of Saginaw gear boxes that are used, 800 or 808, and there are a few different pumps that are used, TC, N, etc. Before you spend money on a used stock pump, call and talk to someone on the phone to get more information. Regardless of what it comes out of, a used steering gear or pump is just that, a used stock part. Not saying it won't be better than what you have if your current parts are crap, but a used stock part is not a performance rebuilt part.

Richard G

quality vendor, with all new components including steering gear, pump, smaller pulley, reservoir, ram and hoses, and cooler.

Richard G

care to elaborate? my PSC high volume p-pump came with a larger pulley.

care to elaborate? my PSC high volume p-pump came with a larger pulley.

The P pump is a pretty high volume pump and may not need a smaller pulley. The smaller pulley helps if you have ram assist, requiring more fluid flow, and experience a slight hesitation when turning quickly at the same time that you let off the gas at slower speeds.....like going through a tight twisty canyon or slowing to make a sharp turn. Especially with an auto trans, the rpm can drop to just off idle in that situation and there can be not enough fluid flow from the pump to move the steering gear and the ram and so there is resistance/slow response when you try to turn quickly. A smaller pulley increases the flow at slow speed and eliminates this problem.

I am running a modified stock pump and a Durango steering box with an overdrive pulley. I am very happy with this setup but I have been through a couple of parts store gearboxes. If I had it to do again I would have bought a gearbox from one of the well known vendors and sucked it up about the cost. Avoiding the hassle of swapping out the parts store boxes would have been worth the extra cost. I have had no issues with the modified stock pump and it moves plenty of fluid for my purposes. My only gripe about the overdrive pulley is I had to install it backward to make it space out right which makes it a PITA to remove.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am still sorta on the fence I may try the WJ setup, just because I can get one for not much of an investment. Other than a JY..anyone know of a decent source for that Durango box?

Napa carries them, but realize reman boxes are hit or miss for finding a good one. More info here...
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=915103&page=9

I went Durango box/WJ pump with mixed results. Every now and then I can't get a sharp turn radius, not a big problem but it's not perfect. Looking back on it, I'd probably pony up the bigger bucks and go PSC if I had to do it over again.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am still sorta on the fence I may try the WJ setup, just because I can get one for not much of an investment. Other than a JY..anyone know of a decent source for that Durango box?

Ok, so all the hype about a WJ pump and a Durango steering gear. Who knows what pump the WJ pump is, and who knows what gear the Durango steering gear is? Every pump and gear is a particular part, what are they, what are the specs? I've never investigated, since I always buy from Lee or PSC, but I'm curious what they actually are?

Richard G

WJ pump pumps more. I didn't notice much of a difference on my old jeep.

I heard this 'fact' for years but have never seen any data to back it up.
Is it another XJ myth or is it really a better pump?
I'm guessing the the improvements seen are what you would expect when replacing a bad pump with a new one...it works better.
Does anyone actually have flow charts comparing the stock XJ pump to the WJ pump?
Without data it is just superstition.

I heard this 'fact' for years but have never seen any data to back it up.
Is it another XJ myth or is it really a better pump?
I'm guessing the the improvements seen are what you would expect when replacing a bad pump with a new one...it works better.
Does anyone actually have flow charts comparing the stock XJ pump to the WJ pump?
Without data it is just superstition.

I'll dig around, I'm pretty sure I've seen hard numbers that the WJ pump has a higher pressure, but the same flow IIRC. :dunno:

Edit: FAIL on my part, I can't find REAL numbers, but a lot of posts saying "Stock is 1450psi / 2.0gpm and the WJ is 1900psi / 2.8gpm".

Last edited:
Back