• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone else disappointed with 4.88s and 35s?

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have been running 33s and 4.56s for years and liked it for the most part, thought it was almost a perfect balance of gearing for tire size.

That said, I recently upgraded to 4.88s with 35s and I feel as if it is almost a downgrade in some respects. It feels that even with 4.88s there is more to be desired as far as power. The tires feel "heavy" when accelerating from a dead stop.

As far as tire diameter and gear ratio it should feel very similar to the 4.56s with 33s. Only thing I can figure is the extra weight in 35s versus the 33s. There is about 15lbs added weight with 35s per tire but I would think it would affect it THAT much

Is there that much difference in weight from manufacturer to manufacturer regarding the same tire size? I am running Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radials. I wonder how they compare to BFGs A/Ts which I used to run.

Last edited:
i run 5.13s and 35s and its not "fast." im guessing you have an auto? that extra dead weight trying to spin from stop is the trans and TC. my buddy with 4.88s and 35s with a 5 spd rips off the line, and my jeep doesnt catch up with him until 40-50 or so when his 200k mile motor shows it age. i plan on getting a shift kit to help firm up the aw4.

my old jeep on 33x10.5s and 4.56s was a rocketship compared to my current rig.

Worlds slowest jeep: (Mine) 3 inch lift, 35x12.50x17s.. 355 gears.. Oh yea! :gee:

IMG_0871_zps6d62a674.jpg

im surprised your that disappointed....ive run 5.13's and 35's and a tired old renix and it was very snappy. Her 00 with 4.56's and 35's is very snappy as well, it has proven to be a great balance for dd duty.....im wondering if you may have another issue? Shes running a heavier set of radials and steelies also. it has gobs of power coming of the line, mostly due to the gearing

My buddy's '01 with 4.10s and 35s would out-accelerate my '92 with 4.88s and 35s.

A 4.0 is never going to feel quick with big tires no matter what the gearing.

I had 35 KM2's on my Rubicon w/ 4.88 gears and that thing was pretty quick. You losing power in the engine some where?

My 4.88/35 combo is great(96 XJ/AW4). I get near stock mileage on the highway(19mpg) and not too bad in town(13-14). It accelerates like stock and cruises down the highway right in the sweet spot.

P1020426.jpg

The speedo is dead on with the stock speedo gear(checked with GPS) I'm running BFG MT's

As far as tire weight goes, I have a similar situation. I put 315/70/16 Falken tires on my Jeep. It felt sluggish. I checked the weight after I had purchased them and they are listed as 77 lbs by Falken. I looked up 35 x 12.5 x 15 BFG A/T and they are listed as 54 lbs by BFG.

I'm guessing the 23 lb weight tax on each corner is hurting my driving performance, but I haven't made the switch yet to experience the before and after effect.

5.13s and 36s and not disappointed at all. My gas mileage is about 16 on the highway (65mph @ 2500 rpm)but then again its a lifted jeep so great gas mileage is non existent to me :p

I'd say there's got to be something wrong with your engine, my xj accelerates just fine on 4.10 gears. The renix is 24 years old, has 180k miles on it and is basically stock. Axles are full width(hp44/60) and the tires are 35x14.50x15 pitbull mad dogs(heavy). I wouldn't call it quick, but its faster off the line and through the corners than any of my passengers have been comfortable with. The wife's wj on the other hand feels really quick on 35's and 3.73's, but its got the 4.7l v8.

I have 4.56 with 36x15.50x15 Mickey T's MTZ's. I have no complaints around town or freeway but regret any mountain driving above 3000 feet. Power is not great but ok the real problem is trans temps, coolers fans nothing seems to work so I believe it is affecting the horse power!

Seriously though on mine..I was debating between 513s and 488s.. I though 488s would be just fine.. Maybe I should reconsider???

Based on what I am expericencing in my 2001 with 4.88s on 35s, I would go with 513s

im surprised your that disappointed....ive run 5.13's and 35's and a tired old renix and it was very snappy. Her 00 with 4.56's and 35's is very snappy as well, it has proven to be a great balance for dd duty.....im wondering if you may have another issue? Shes running a heavier set of radials and steelies also. it has gobs of power coming of the line, mostly due to the gearing

I have a 2001 and when I ran 4.56s with 33's it was very snappy. Now that I upgraded, to 4.88s with 35s it feels slower. Not sure if there is another issue (like my motor or whatever) since nothing has changed except going deeper gearing wise and heavier tires.

My buddy's '01 with 4.10s and 35s would out-accelerate my '92 with 4.88s and 35s.

A 4.0 is never going to feel quick with big tires no matter what the gearing.

Yeah, I realize this but I was just comparing it to the "feel" of 4.56s with 33s versus 4.88s with 35s. I was expecting it to be the same more or less

Back