• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanche build idea, input welcome

420manche

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all still fairly new here but I would like sone opinions and or feedback on the build I am considering, first I have a bone stock 87 mj, 2.5L, ax-5, Dana 35 with 4.11 as my daily driver (shorted) and a 97 xj 4dr, 4.0L, aw4, Dana 30 hp, Chrysler 8.25, 3.55 that is a donor truck. What I want to do is put the newer front clip, doors, interior, and axles from the 97 into the Comanche but I would like to find a m.p.I. 2.5L, grab a Dakota ax-15 bellhousing so I could use a 4wd ax-15, change the gears and use a lwb mj 23.5 gallon fuel tank. I know I could just use the 4.0l and aw4 and maybe just change the gears to like 3.73 so feel free to tell me what you think as I am currently stripping the xj to start the conversion

Yeah I'm also on Comanche club, just seeing what feedback I can get from a wide variety of jeepers. I like the 2.5 but I've been in mpi 2.5's and they seem way peppier than my 1 barrel tbi motor. I guess though since I have all the xj stuff I could just go with the dogamatic and give up my stick shift. Still unsure though about using my Dana 35 or Chrysler 8.25. Gonna have lots of parts from both vehicles left over so if any of ya all need something just ask. I trade for parts or cash works too but trade is much more fun.

I'd do everything you plan on except use the 4.0. Why bother with the 2.5.

Sell off the 2.5 stuff cheap, and use that money to grab a 4.0 AX-15 with an external slave. Your pedal setup and everything will work fine, just use the master/slave setup from the same year AX-15 (should bolt up to your firewall/pedal just fine).

You already have to swap over the whole wiring harness and everything, not sure why you'd want half the power.

I would keep a manual in there, if possible. But, since you have an 87. 4.0L would fit nicely. You could do OBD2 swap with harness and all, or sell and locate OBD1 computer.
The 4.11's would be awesome with a 4.0L and whatever size tires.
In order to swap in an XJ axle, you either have to lift your vehicle, due to the fact that the XJ is spring over, and 'manche is spring under. OR, you weld on spring perches under the axle.

Yeah I think I would love to keep it stick but for ease I will probably just use what I have and go with the 4.0L, aw4, np231, and the decide which rear axle to use. Since I will be going with the automatic I will prob regear the diffs to 3.73. I would like to grab a 23.5 gallon tank from this lwb manche in the boneyard but will probably just go with the xj's tank. I would like to run something the size around say 30" maybe even something like a 235/75 even.

Back