• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft length?

Will_Beck

NAXJA Forum User
Will be running deaver leaves in the rear. 4.5" lift. Its a 97 w/AW4, rugged ridge SYE. Anyone know how long the driveshaft will need to be?

I'm getting ready to order one, and just need to know the length. The jeep is daily driven, so I can't just swap the tcase and measure for shaft and wait. I also do not have the springs yet, so my measurements would do me no good.

Thanks in advance!

I had someone else tell me the same, but will it be long enough? I'm worried that with axle wrap from desert romping, there might be too much plunge if using the front shaft is just a "barely" long enough solution. Would be great to run identical shafts though. Finding and carrying a spare would be much easier.

run a frt shaft in the rear till you can get the proper shaft ordered

That's what I did, ran my front until I could get the right one made up. Totally wore out the slip though as I was only at about 1 3/4" engagement (could just see the dust shield deforming from the splines) ... but, I had to get to work.
Also tried having a couple ZJ fronts cut down, with poor results (DC's center studs were shot on both) but they got me around for a while. I now have plenty of spare 'get me home' shafts as a result.

a lot of people run stock front shafts out of an auto in the rear. bolt yours in and see how it fits. if its not long enough, itll give you a reference for how much longer it needs to be.

there is a spicer PDF floating around that has extended/collapsed lengths of double cardan drive shafts for almost every make and model they came equipped in, as well as the size joint they run. you can use that to find a JY shaft that uses 1310 joints.

Back