• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple pics of my aux reverse light switch

gunsworth

NAXJA Forum User
Recently put a new bumper on our xj and added some LED reverse lights for my fiancee (she smashed the old bumper into a tree backing up one night...). I like to be able to turn them on for tailgaters and whatnot. I found a lot of threads on this and.just wanted to add my pic showing which exact wire to tap into and where, which was not clear in any of the posts.

This is under the driverside kickpanel
vy6u8a3e.jpg

This one you can see how i did the relay including a diode under the red shrinkwrap to keep the cel at bay, and the stud to mount the panel worked great for the ground.
e8asa6az.jpg

Figure i can save someone the guesswork i had going into this. Only thing i need to do now is add a diode going to the switch because it lights up when i put it in reverse and bugs me lol. I can get some other pics if wanted but they are not much different from the other threads

This was on our 2000 classic...

This is under the front kick panel? What exactly are you doing?

When I did mine I just used a relay (fog lights back there, didn't want to run off the stock harness) and pulled the + off the reverse lamps for the relay coil side.

When I did mine I just used a relay (fog lights back there, didn't want to run off the stock harness) and pulled the + off the reverse lamps for the relay coil side.

That's what I did. I have a fitchbox mounted on the pass rear quarter trim. I just popped the pass taillight off, pulled that wiring harness out and tapped into it. Is so easy because it is painfully obvious which wires run to the backup lamps, and of those one is black for ground and on my 99 the positive was brown with green stripe. Use this with a diode to trigger the relay. Also used the switch with a diode to trigger it.

Originally I only had the backup switch. In three different occasions I forgot to turn it off on the way to work. After getting some brights and a few fingers I decided to do it correctly. Now I hardly ever use the switch, and I wonder how I ever backed up at night with the stock lights.
9eze8u7a.jpg

Basically the same thing, but I didnt want to run wiring all the way back. I originally tapped the LEDs into the stock lights (They only draw a couple amps so I didnt bother with a relay back there). But I also wanted manual control through a switch on the dash, so I put up these pics to show where it can be done without running extra wires all the way back.

Back