• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What else do I need? 3" budget kit

WarGin

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, Jeep newbie here.
Im in CT, and early last year I bought my 84 Wagoneer (100k) 2.5 5 speed as a back up car in case my cadillac ever died ( for $50 dollars I coudnt pass it up...). well in september it died, and after about 700 in repairs (brake, fuel lines, etc) it became my daily driver. here we are a couple of months later, with replacements for the stock steelies and 215s. Canyons with 31s

0212131728_zps513d1b61.jpg

Well my boss got me a lift kit for christmas instead of a bonus, hence the bigger tires.
3" short AALs and 3" pucks for the front, with 4 gas shocks, and I was wondering if anyone could inform me on exactly what i have and what else I need to buy to do the install. I know I need new U bolts, but I dont know what size to get... Will probably fab a TC drop.
0216131848a_zps1bd9cfeb.jpg

0216131848_zps92e18796.jpg

As you can see in the pic of the car, the springs are pretty sagged, so Im also worried as to the effectiveness of the AAL... My boss just lifted his 95 wrangler and still has the old springs, and i was thinking about grabbing a few of his shorter leaves to stiffen up my packs... Would this work or would it be more effective/cost wise to buy some newer/stifer springs from a junkyard?
Im on the tightest budget imaginable so im only going to replace parts as needed haha.
Thanks in advance, cant wait to go wheelin but Im still rubbing in the back on bumps, even after a ~3/4" sawzall trim under the flares.

Considering what you already have, and that you are on a super tight budget, just throw the stuff on and then see what else you need.
3" is about the tipping point where you start to need to change out some other components to account for the lift height including mainly lower control arms and track bar, but I'd just install what you have and upgrade as needed.

X2. Throw it on and see what you get.

You'll probably have some front to rear ride height issues to work out but won't know until you get it on.

I wouldn't drop the t-case unless you get vibes (I don't think you will).

OK I will install it sometime this week. also, does anyone have a specific size for the d35 axle? i believe its 2.75x7.5"? I looked at advance auto and i coudnt find that size or any rounded ubolts in a similar size. Also, should i get new plates as well?
If the rear is too low ill probably just install some shackles. Does anyone have a recommendation as to brand?

Last edited:
I used TNT boomerang shackles to pick up 1"-1-1/2" in the rear to level my lift out.

I suggest up get a few miles on the add-a-leaf / saggy rear combo to make sure all has settled in before you fine tune your ride height.

IMO since you are taking the rear leaf pack apart anyway find another xj main leaf, cut off the bushings and use that to fully support the main leaf. AAL will work for a bit but if your main leaf is worn it will eventually just flatten out again. If you want to see how it's done I'm putting a small lift in my DD during my vacation mid march. I live in Central MA close to CT. I would also suggest swapping out the dana 35 for a 8.25 but I would be weary as to what gears you have. I am unfamiliar with the 2.5 and 5 speed gearing options. These are things I learned lifting my multiple xjs in the past lol.

Back